‘I’m going to be homeless’: Nick says nowhere will hire him because of Love Is Blind appearance

He claims going on the show has ‘ruined his life’

Nick Thompson, who appeared on season two of Netflix series Love Is Blind, has said he is on the brink of homelessness because he can’t secure a job after appearing on the show. Nick, who married and then divorced Danielle Ruhl from the dating experiment, is now a mental health advocate, and has claimed going on the show has ruined his life.

Speaking to MailOnline, Nick claimed he was paid just “$7.14 an hour” to be on the show, which he compared to being “treated like a prisoner”. Nick told the publication he was only paid $10,000 for 10 weeks of filming and claimed there has been zero discussion about residual pay, despite the ongoing success of Love Is Blind.

“When you think about the amount of money that’s being made, and the way that it’s the path for future seasons, and the fact that anyone can go on and watch me… and I’m going to be homeless,” he said. “I lost my job last November. I’m having an incredibly hard time finding [a new] one.”

He went on to say he has “burned through” his savings, and has about two months’ worth of mortgage repayments in his bank. “I can’t get a job because people don’t take me seriously,” he said.

Nick and Danielle during Love Is Blind on Netflix

via Netflix

He claimed being on the show felt like being under “24-hour control” by producers. He claimed filming goes on for between 18 to 20 hours a day, and after that cast members are “locked” in a hotel room.

He said being a part of Love Is Blind has “ruined [his] life completely,” and said he wishes he “could just go back to having a nice life that I had built for myself, instead of wondering whether my mortgage is gonna get paid.”

The Daily Mail approached Netflix for comment on these allegations, but didn’t receive a reply. The Tab has also reached out to Netflix for comment.

This isn’t the first time Love Is Blind has come under fire for how it treats cast members. Nick’s ex-wife Danielle previously spoke about her regrets taking part in the experiment, amid a report which exposed the “traumatising” filming experience had by other people on the show.

Business Insider published a report detailing the experience people had on the show, in which ex-contestants called it “hell on earth” and claimed they had been put through “emotional warfare.”

via Netflix

In the report, Danielle said she tried to leave the show after having a panic attack, and claimed she told producers she didn’t feel mentally stable enough to continue filming. “I kept telling them, ‘I don’t trust myself,’” she recalled. “’I’m having suicidal thoughts. I don’t think I can continue in this.’” Producers are said to have convinced Danielle to stay.

Multiple contestants claimed they were left depressed and seeking therapy, and one person even felt they had to quit their job. One cast member Insider spoke to said “we’re not even viewed as human beings.” Another cast member claimed they were made to film whilst sleep and food deprived. The report also claimed there’s a $50k fine for anyone who leaves the show before their filming is over.

Kinetic Content responded to the report, telling Variety in a statement, “The wellbeing of our participants is of paramount importance to Kinetic. We have rigorous protocols in place to care for each person before, during, and after filming.”

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.