One Day quotes

The most heart wrenching One Day quotes that’ll make you cry all over again

Because sometimes it’s just nice to feel something x

Set over the course of two decades, One Day follows Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew, who meet on July 15th, 1988, and reunite on the same day each year thereafter. As their lives diverge and intersect, the show captures the complexities of human connection, the highs and lows of relationships, and the bittersweet reality of missed opportunities. Throughout the story, there are moments of profound emotion and introspection, encapsulated in memorable quotes, which feel like David Nicholls is personally using his pen to rip your heart to shreds.

Basically, One Day is a poignant exploration of love, friendship, and the passage of time – and it’s guaranteed to leave you bawling your eyes out. So, whether you devoured David Nicholls’ novel or binge-watched the Netflix TV adaptation, let’s look back at the words which left us weeping as we rank the One Day quotes that’ll leave you in tears all over again:

“You’re the best person I know. And I know a lot of people.”

Let’s start with a heart-warming confession from Dexter to Emma. It’s the moment where he acknowledges her exceptional character, and lays on the charm, dishing out compliments like candy. Ah, the sweetness of their bond amidst life’s chaos.

“I’ll be back in the morning. Feel better”

Dexter’s failed attempt at reigniting romance with Emma turns into a silent sob fest. Talk about missed opportunities and shattered dreams. It’s not just the words, but the whole moment that really breaks our hearts. As the door closes behind Emma and a tear falls from Dex’s eyes, it’s like a physical ache in my chest.

via Netflix

“Just been an unbelievably shitty day, Em.”

Desperation hits hard as Dexter reaches out to Emma in his darkest hour. It’s like a punch to the gut, leaving us reeling. With every breath, you can feel his heartache, his world turning upside down with the realisation of it all. My heart broke alongside his.

via Netflix

“You should have said hello.”

Ah, the classic tale of what could have been. If only they’d crossed paths sooner, maybe things would’ve turned out differently. Now, knowing the ending, it’s hard not to wonder about the missed chances, especially since Emma had a crush on him already. This line hits close to home.

“Are people really having that good a time?”

Emma’s existential crisis hits like a ton of bricks, making us question our own life choices. Way to stir up some deep thoughts, Em! It’s heart-breaking to witness Emma’s struggle with feelings of inadequacy and disillusionment, especially when juxtaposed with Dexter’s seemingly perfect life, intensifying the emotional impact of their divergent journeys.

“I love you, Dex. So much. I just don’t like you anymore. I’m sorry.”

Emma’s heart-wrenching confession hits like a ton of bricks. I felt every ounce of her pain as she poured her heart out, grappling with her feelings for Dexter. The way she finally realises her own worth and decides to step away from Dexter, who’s completely oblivious to his own mistreatment, is gut-wrenching. I mean, come on, Dex! Even in his intoxicated state, his cruelty towards Emma is just too much to bear. Watching Emma walk away, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

via Netflix

“For Christ’s sake, she started walking, and I missed it.”

Dexter’s heartfelt confession about his struggles as a parent is like a dagger to the heart. You can feel the weight of his helplessness and grief as he opens up about feeling disconnected from his own child. It’s a raw and emotional moment that really hits home.

via Netflix

“I’m not being a footnote.”

In the final episode, during one of the scenes from their earlier days together, Emma makes a declaration as they descend from the iconic Arthur’s Seat. This heartrending revelation showcases Emma’s determination to be more than just a passing mention in Dexter’s life story. It’s a tearful moment, underscoring the fact that to him, she wasn’t a footnote but the entire story.

“Imagine one selected day struck out of your life and think how different its course would have been.”

Emma’s speech at Tilly’s wedding hits hard with this quote from Charles Dickens. While Emma’s words are about Tilly’s relationship, there’s a clear connection to her bond with Dexter. It’s like their whole journey together summed up in one line. What could’ve been, indeed.

Prepare to ugly cry like never before as Emma and Dexter take you on a whirlwind of emotions. You’ve been warned!

Featured image via Netflix