Meryl Streep and Martin Short

Ok, so here’s everything about those Meryl Streep and Martin Short dating rumours

Selena Gomez might have been right x

Is Meryl Streep dating Martin Short? Wait, what are you talking about? Well, speculation is growing that Meryl is, in fact, dating Martin. All the rumours are, of course, denied by the relevant parties, but gossip that is true still thrives. Let me tell you about all the chatter that prompted this. Well, take my hand, and I’ll tell you everything that is being said about whether or not Meryl Streep is dating Martin Short.

In October, the news broke that Meryl had separated from her husband, Don Gummer, after 45 years of marriage. Another shocking element of the story was that Meryl and Don had been apart for over six years. While they hadn’t been seen out and about together since 2018, Meryl had been sporting her wedding ring until then. Martin is also a single man as he lost his wife, Nancy Dolman, in 2010 after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

It all fell very quiet until Meryl was spotted at The 2024 Golden Globe Awards with Martin Short. Their sitting together prompted a wave of speculation that the pair had struck up something romantic. They have been pals for decades but recently worked together on the TV series Only Murders in the Building.

Meryl Streep and Martin Short

Only Murders In The Building/Hulu

After seeing them at the awards last month, one person wrote on X: “Sitting with the knowledge that Meryl Streep and Martin Short might be in love, but I have no proof.”

“Are we not gonna talk about Meryl Streep and Martin Short sitting together,” another person added. However, despite this dream causing traction, a rep for Martin told Page Six that he and Meryl “are just very good friends”.

Days later, Martin repeated this line while on Bill Maher’s podcast Club Random, telling him: “We’re not a couple, we are just very close friends,” to which Bill joked they “should because there’s nothing more powerful in Hollywood than a power couple.”

Further fuel was added to the rumour fire by Selena Gomez because, of course, it was. Do you remember when she was caught gossiping to Taylor Swift and Keleigh Teller about something? Everyone suddenly became an expert lip reader and decided that she must have been talking about the PDA-heavy Kylie Jenner and Timotheé Chalamet. Selena denied it, saying on social media, “Noooooo I told Taylor about two of my friends who hooked up. Not that that’s anyone business.”

This assertion was backed up by an official rep for Selena, telling PEOPLE magazine: “She was absolutely not referencing anything about Timothée or Kylie,” leaving room for more questions than answers. If not those two, exactly who she was talking about? But if you forgot, Selena works with Meryl and Martin on Only Murders in The Building. Other people have noticed this as well.

“My Roman Empire is that is what Selena Gomez was telling Taylor about in the moment that became a meme at the Golden Globes,” someone wrote on on X after they were spotted leaving a restaurant in New York City.

Some have pointed out how funny it is to be at the centre of a celebrity dating rumour storm for the first time in your 70s.

Some have mused a Meryl and Martin couple situation would solve our “motivation to go on” drought.

Some compared their potential dating to be like other hot young celeb couples like Tom Holland and Zendaya and Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce.

Well, whatever is happening between these two Hollywood legends, we bet the SAG Awards will only add to the drama.