This is where Matthew Muller from American Nightmare on Netflix is now

Umm, he got married in prison?

Netflix has just released a new true crime documentary series, and nobody can quite come to terms with the story it covers. Skipping to the end, American Nightmare sees Matthew Muller caught, and sent to prison for his crimes. But the journey of how the case go to there was anything but smooth.

In 2015, Aaron Quinn rang police and told them his girlfriend Denise Huskins had been taken from the home they shared. He said intruders had invaded their home in the early hours of the morning, tied them both up and blindfolded them, before taking Denise. The couple had been given sedatives, and told the kidnappers were from a highly experienced crime group who come after financial debt.

Police at first did nothing about it as a possible kidnapping, and instead pursued the idea Aaron had killed Denise. Two days later, Denise returned home, and detailed her horrific ordeal, which included her being taken to a house and sexually assaulted twice. However, police still didn’t believe the couple, and instead thought Denise was trying to recreate the movie Gone Girl, and was faking her own kidnap.

It was only when a detective in another area, Misty Carausu, picked up a similar case, and began to draw similarities in cases across different regions that the truth came out. She found DNA evidence which proved Denise had been telling the truth, and tied Matthew Muller to the attack. Matthew Muller was a Harvard Law grad and ex-Marine, another thing Denise said her kidnapper had revealed about themselves.

Matthew Muller in American Nightmare on Netflix

via Netflix

So, where is Matthew Muller from American Nightmare now?

In 2016, Muller pleaded guilty to one count of federal kidnapping and was sentenced to 40 years. He was not charged with the other cases he had previously been linked to in California.

According to SFGate, at his sentencing hearing Muller said: “There’s nothing I can say. I’m sick with shame that my actions have brought such devastation. I hope my imprisonment can bring closure to Aaron and Denise and I’m prepared for any sentence the court imposes.”

The following year, the state filed further charges of rape, robbery and burglary against Muller. In 2021 his proceedings were delayed when, according to AP, Muller was admitted to Napa State Hospital and deemed unfit to stand trial. In 2022 his trial went ahead, and he pleaded no contest to two counts of forcible rape, and was sentenced to 31 years in state prison. The state and federal sentences are being served concurrently.

According to inmate records, Muller is currently serving his sentence at FCI Tucson in Tucson, Arizona – a medium security prison. His estimated release date is in July 2049.

via Netflix

Not much is known about his life in prison, but it has been reported Muller got married behind bars in 2018. According to court records he married Huei Jiun Dai, but she filed for divorce in 2022. It’s been reported the divorce is still processing so by law, Muller is still married.

American Nightmare is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.