Dry January health benefits weight loss

Ok, here’s what happens to your body when you actually manage to do Dry January

1) You feel superior to everybody else x

Most of us start the new year in the same way: with a thudding great head ache and our head down the toilet. And so, often, on January 2nd – with a tumble weed bank balance and not a shred of self respect left – we sign a contract with ourselves to give up alcohol until February. Dry Jan. To make the most miserable month of the year even more boring.

But, obviously, Dry January has endless health benefits for your body— even if it feels like a specific and cruel form of punishment right now. So, to keep you pushing through while your friends wave glasses of wine under your nose, we’ve spoken to experts about the exact advantages of a no alcohol month. And the longer you do it for, the better it gets:

Week one – Sleeping better, more hydration and more energy

You might think after a massive night out you sleep better than you ever have before but drinking could actually be leaving you knackered: “Alcohol can disrupt sleep patterns,” explainsDr Giuseppe Aragona, GP and online medical adviser for Prescription Doctor. “In the first week of abstaining, you may notice better sleep quality as your body adjusts to a more regular sleep cycle.”

Another perk is your chapped lips might finally subside: “Alcohol is dehydrating, and cutting it out can lead to improved hydration levels,” says Dr Giuseppe. “Better hydration can positively impact skin health, energy levels, and cognitive function.”

Week two – Less bloating, better mood and a happier liver

If there’s one thing that TikTok has taught us, it’s that hot girls all have stomach problems. But Dry Jan could help: Alcohol can irritate the digestive system,” says Dr Giuseppe. “By the second week, you may notice less bloating and improved digestion.”

Your liver will also start to repair itself by week two as it’s (thank god) a “resilient organ”. “By the second week, liver function may start to improve as it works on detoxifying the body without the additional burden of processing alcohol,” says Dr Giuseppe.

Plus, after a fortnight of no Sunday Scaries, you could start to feel much happier too: “Alcohol affects neurotransmitters in the brain,” Giuseppe says. “And some people report improved mood and mental clarity as the body adjusts to the absence of alcohol.”

Week three – Glowing skin, weight loss and even more energy

We all spend so much on facemasks and moisturisers. But going tee-total could actually be the complexion saviour we’re searching for: “Hydration and better sleep can contribute to improved skin health,” explains Dr Giuseppe. “Some people may notice a clearer complexion and reduced redness.”

On top of that, by week three, you might start to notice weight loss from not drinking: “If you were consuming a significant amount of calories through alcoholic beverages, continued abstinence can contribute to further weight loss,” Giuseppe explains.

And – according to the doctor – your energy levels will just climbing: “With better sleep, improved hydration, and a healthier liver, many people report increased energy levels in the third week,” he says.

Week four – Better concentration, a different social life and stronger immune system

In the final week of Dry January you might notice you can finally focus on the task at hand: “Some individuals report enhanced cognitive function,” says Dr Giuseppe. “Including better concentration and memory, as the brain adjusts to the absence of alcohol.”

Your social life will probably have changed too as you opt out of alcohol. “You may have have established healthier habits,” explains Giuseppe. “Such as, choosing alternative beverages and finding non-alcoholic ways to socialise.”

And if you’re a walking target for the winter cold, you’ve got a better chance of swerving sickness for the rest of the winter if you don’t drink: “Alcohol can suppress the immune system,” warns Dr Giuseppe. “With a month of abstinence, your immune system may become more robust.”