Ashton Kutcher Thorn child trafficking charity

Tech bros and divorce: Inside Ashton Kutcher’s anti-child-trafficking charity Thorn

Mila Kunis seemingly referenced the project in their recent apology video

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis have been receiving serious backlash ever since character letters they wrote in support of their That ’70s Show co-star, Danny Masterson – who has now been sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for raping two women in 2003 – went public.

In their apology video, which dropped to Instagram after the uproar over their support of Danny, Mila referenced the previous “work” she and Ashton had done as a couple in an attempt to offset the fury: “We support victims,” she claimed. “We have done this historically through our work and will continue to do so in the future.”

Obviously, the internet then became curious over what projects Mila was alluding to and now deep dives into Ashton Kutcher’s anti-child-trafficking charity, Thorn, are all over TikTok. So, in case you’re curious, here’s everything we know about the non-profit and why it’s suddenly causing controversy:

When and why did Ashton Kutcher start an anti-child-trafficking charity?

So, Ashton originally founded his charity Thorn with his then-wife Demi Moore in 2009 – but back then it was called the DNA Foundation. Demi and Ashton reportedly started the company after they’d watched an MSNBC documentary about child trafficking and sexual slavery in Cambodia and discovered child trafficking was also happening in the US.  In 2012, when Ashton and Demi had split, they changed the name of the non-profit to Thorn: Digital Defenders of Children but agreed to stay co-founders.

Why is there so much to do with technology in Ashton Kutcher’s anti-child trafficking charity?

So, basically, because technology plays a part in child trafficking (increasing efficiency of operations, gaining further insight into potential victim’s lives, etc) Thorn partnered with a load of Silicone Valley Companies (including Google, Facebook, and Microsoft) to create a Technology Task Force which develops software to fight child trafficking: “Thorn creates products that identify child victims faster, provides services for the tech industry to play a proactive role in removing abuse content from their platforms and works directly with youth communities to build resilient kids,” their website reads.

However, investigative journalist Whitney Webb has previously questioned Ashton’s decision to partner with big tech companies to combat child trafficking. “Thorn is partnered with all these Silicone Valley companies,” she said in an interview with Graham Elwood. “I would say it’s like a front – a way for Silicone Valley companies to give these experimental softwares they can’t legally sell the police department under the guise they’re going to save kids.”

Thorn did not respond to The Tab’s request for comment on the allegations.

Does the charity have links to the police? And why is that a problem?

The team at Thorn reportedly use a web app called Spotlight, which sends law enforcement officers information that could lead them to suspected human trafficking networks and rescue children in danger. Ashton previously told 48 Hours:  “Our algorithms are getting better — we’re getting smarter — we’re getting the tool in more people’s hands.”

Thorn is now used by law enforcement officers in all 50 states and Canada, according to the company’s impact report, something journalist Whitney Webb has also questioned. As recently as 2021, a BuzzFeed News investigation found members of the CIA had committed sex crimes against children but weren’t prosecuted.

Thorn did not respond to The Tab’s request for comment on their involvement with the CIA.