billion dollar films post Covid

A rundown of all the films that have made a billion dollars post Covid

Barbie’s the latest to join the club

It’s no secret that cinemas and the film industry in general have struggled since the Covid 19 pandemic shut them down. With streaming dominating and a lot of films getting rushed onto platforms for people to watch at home, it’s been hard for cinemas to rake in the cash they once did. Behold then, the six films that have passed the billion dollar box office milestone threshold and have solidified themselves as huge bankable earners. Here’s a full guide to all the films in the billion dollars club post Covid.

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) [$1,921,847,111]

The MCU’s multiverse of chaos was the first of films post Covid to break the billion dollars mark. It’s a huge franchise with an all star cast that brought together three different generations of Spider-Man lore so it’s no surprise it raked in the cash. Also, apparently it’s quite good. For MCU standards, anyway.

2. Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) [1.004 billion]

Just scraping into billion dollar territory is Jurassic World: Dominion – a film I’m quite shocked to see here to be honest considering it got critically panned and I never see anyone talk about it. The film did bring back major characters from the original 90s trilogy with Jeff Goldblum and Laura Dern appearing, so I guess that brought legacy fans to the cinema.

3. Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

This is what happens when you don’t rush a sequel – huge acclaim and huge money made. Even got a Best Picture nom! Shame the Gaga song is an atrocity though, isn’t it?

4. Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) [$2,320,250,28]

Films billion dollars post covid

Not only is this the third highest grossing film of ALL TIME, the top spot is actually held by the first Avatar. These films bore me but you’ve got to give it up for James Cameron having three of the four highest grossing films ever under his belt.

5. The Super Mario Bros Movie (2023) [$1,355,151,754]

Films billion dollars post covid

Sigh. I’m an apologist for this film. Sorry.

6. Barbie (2023) [$1,042,685,725]

Films billion dollars post covid

The Gerwig made history with Barbie, not only for making it a pop culture phenomenon but becoming the first ever solo female director to make a film that banks over a billion at the box office. Queen shit.

For all the latest film and entertainment news, memes and other fun stuff like this Barbies as unis round up, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.

More Barbie stories recommended by this writer:

Girls are sharing what they did to their old Barbie and I won’t be sleeping tonight 

Cafés, consoles, and cruises: All 25 iconic ways that the Barbie movie is being promoted

Hi Ken! All of Ryan Gosling’s iconic film roles ranked from worst to best