The Hunger Games Mandela effect explained: No a Tribute didn’t explode in the first movie

I swear I watched this happen??

Do you remember a Tribute literally exploding in the The Hunger Games? Because same. TikTok users are reporting memories of a tribute stepping off their starter platform and exploding – it’s traumatic but I swear I watched this happen in the movie.

In The Hunger Games arena, the Tributes are arranged in a circle around a Cornucopia filled with supplies. It’s then announced Tributes must wait 60 seconds before the games start and if they “step off before the minute is up” then the landmines blow their legs off.

Did the Tribute actually die or is this the Mandela effect?

In short: no, it didn’t happen. Despite how hard we all think it did – this full scene below on YouTube proves it didn’t. However there is a reason for this Mandela effect. The Hunger Games fans who read the book may realise that this explosion did happen, just not in the 74th Hunger Games!

In chapter 16, when observing the career tributes landmine trap – Katniss recalls how “one year, a girl dropped her token, a small wooden ball, while she was at her plate, and the game makers literally had to scrape bits of her off the ground.”

Fans’ memories may also be muddled by the parody film The Starving Games, where a Tribute is shot by a referee with a starter gun.

So, this isn’t true and we’ve all been fooled by our own The Hunger Games obsessed brains.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

What are the cast of the Hunger Games up to, 10 years since the film?

The odds are in our favour! Here’s everything we know about the new Hunger Games film

Take this quiz to find out how long you’d actually last in The Hunger Games