Meredith Grey iconic moments

A look back on all the iconic Meredith Grey moments as she says goodbye to Grey Sloan

Ellen Pompeo has been in all 19 seasons of Grey’s Anatomy

Every Grey’s Anatomy fan fell to their knees when Ellen Pompeo announced she would be leaving Grey’s Anatomy and naturally, Meredith Grey will no longer be working at Grey Sloan.

The mid-season finale left on a cliffhanger with Meredith’s house on fire and her cradling Derek’s post-it note. It’s not yet known how Meredith leaves Seattle but it’ll be a farewell like no other.

Over the many, many years of Grey’s Anatomy’s run, Meredith Grey has been causing havoc at the hospital and had had some pretty iconic moments that no one will ever be able to forget. As Ellen Pompeo bids farewell to a role she calls home, here is a look back on all the iconic Meredith Grey moments on Grey’s Anatomy.

‘Pick me, choose me, love me’

Not a lot of people realise this iconic quote came from an episode of Grey’s Anatomy back in the day. When Meredith realised her feelings for Derek in season two, she asked him to pick her and sign his divorce papers and be with her instead of Addison.

It’s quite iconic considering people still use the sound of it today, and of course it has gone viral on TikTok. Although the end of the moment isn’t very girlboss energy because she asks Derek to meet her at Joe’s but he doesn’t turn up.

When she had to get her appendix removed and was high on morphine

In season three of Grey’s Anatomy Meredith is dating two men, Derek and Finn. She is sick all morning and eventually it turns out that she has appendicitis. While high on morphine, Meredith delivers some of the best lines of the season. The best moment is when she tells Bailey how pretty she is and receives a death stare in return.

She won a Harper Avery Award despite it previously not being allowed at Grey Sloan

During the 300th episode of season 14, Meredith Grey finally wins a Harper Avery Award. In the episode, Meredith is meant to be on her way to Boston to the award ceremony but instead helps out at the hospital after a fairground ride incident. Meredith’s research project with a 3D-printing surgical equipment helped her scoop the award, a moment she had been waiting for her whole career.

When she finally puts Derek in his place for being toxic

Despite Derek picking Addison, he still finds himself pining over Meredith and getting jealous over what actions. Derek begins to act off with Meredith while tending to a patient, and she follows him to the stairwell where she delivers an Emmy-deserving speech.

She tells Derek: “You don’t get to call me a whore. When I met you I thought I had found the person that I was going to spend the rest of my life with. I was done. So all the boys, all the bars and all the obvious daddy issues, who cared? Because I was done. You left me. You chose Addison. I’m all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke. You don’t get to call me a whore.”

When she confronted the doctor who killed Derek

One of the worst moments in Grey’s Anatomy history was Lexie’s death, followed shortly after by Derek’s death. Multiple seasons after Derek’s death, Meredith comes face to face with the surgeon who was negligent in his death, for failing to get him a head CT after the crash.

When the doctor makes a comment about Meredith’s daughter, she snaps. In one of the most iconic speeches from her character, she says: “Those are the names of the spouses of every patient I’ve ever lost. I remember every single one of them. You don’t get to sit up there and ask questions about my daughter. If you want to take my licence, make sure I never see another patient again, then you do that. But you have absolutely no right to ever mention my daughters name, because you are the one who killed her father.” Chills!

The very first time Meredith and Cristina call each other their person

One phrase from Grey’s Anatomy that has stuck across its 23-year run is: “You’re my person.” Grey’s Anatomy fans were first introduced to the phrase in season two episode one. After Meredith is in pieces after finding out that Derek was married, Cristina tells her: “You’re my person.” I’ve still got tears just thinking it.

Her last day

A moment that will round up all the iconic Meredith Grey moments on Grey’s Anatomy is her last day. This episode hasn’t happened yet but it’ll go down as one of the best episodes in Grey’s Anatomy history. Meredith is finally leaving Grey Sloan Memorial hospital and it’ll be a send-off like no other.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.