Colleen Hoover colouring book apology

Colleen Hoover has apologised for the ‘tone-deaf’ It Ends with Us colouring book

She has thanked her fans for holding her to account

Content warning: Mention of domestic violence.

Colleen Hoover has issued an apology for the It Ends with Us adult colouring book that was set to be released in April 2023. The popular author recently announced fans of the book would be able to break out their “markers and coloured pencils and add some colour” to her number one bestselling book. However, fans were outraged as they felt the colouring book was in poor taste due to the themes of the novel.

A day after announcing the colouring book, Colleen Hoover has since said she has contacted the publisher to let them know she does not want to move forward with the book. In a statement on Instagram, Colleen Hoover posted an apology about the colouring book and said: “The colouring book was developed with Lily’s strength in mind, but I can absolutely see how this was tone-deaf.

“I hear you guys and I agree with you. No excuses. No finger-pointing. I have contacted the published to let them know I would prefer we don’t move forward with it. Thank you for the respectful discourse and accountability. Nothing but love.”

Colleen Hoover colouring book apology

via Instagram @colleenhoover

Book lovers on TikTok were initially furious with the idea of the adult colouring book, with one user saying the book “completely diminishes the story. She said: “I think taking a story such as that from It Ends with Us and adding it with a colouring book completely diminishes the story. It completely diminishes the message that you’re trying to send about domestic violence because you’re mixing it with something childish.

“Yes there are adult colouring books, but why did you choose that book to do it with specifically? I don’t really think people want to be colouring, ‘Oh Lily you fell’ or people getting bitten, like she was literally bitten by her partner. He gaslighted her, he made her afraid to tell her about her own pregnancy in case he reacted badly.”