M3GAN film

Here’s everything you need to know about M3GAN, the new doll horror film that’s gone viral

It currently has a higher score on Rotten Tomatoes than The Godfather

Every once in a while, a horror film arrives to wreak havoc on our lives and online LGBTQ community decide to make its protagonist a bonafide gay icon. Remember The Babadook? Oh, that little demon slayed the Pride scene – but now there’s a new queen in town, and you’ve seen her all over Twitter. M3GAN, a murderous little girl shaped robot doll, quickly went viral thanks to her ability to ruthlessly slaughter and dance along to It’s Nice To Have a Friend by Taylor Swift at the same time. The film, stylised as M3GAN – pronounced Megan, is out in the UK next week – here’s all you need to know about it.

It’s about a killer robot doll, naturally

What we know so far of the M3GAN plot is that the film stars Alison Williams (of Get Out fame) as Gemma, a roboticist who makes M3GAN for her niece Cady, who finds herself orphaned after her parents die in a car accident. M3GAN stand for Model 3 Generated Android, and Gemma makes her to be a kid’s best friend. Things go awry when M3GAN becomes sentry and self-aware, and her overprotectiveness of Cady gets violent. Duh!

It’s by the makers of Saw, Annabelle and Malignant

James Wan, a big king in the horror world thanks to his direction and production involvement with huge franchises such as Saw, The Conjuring universe (including Annabelle) and last year’s batshit Malignant. It’s a collaboration with Jason Blum and Blumhouse Productions – again, known for big horror. They’re kind of the anti-A24, campy mainstream horror that can be hit or miss but usually performs extremely well at the box office.

If Malignant is anything to go by, M3GAn will be a film that capitalises on its carnage and campness for the better.

So far, it has had critical acclaim

You’d see the poster and a silly little doll called M3GAN and assume critics would hate it, but since its premiere and early reviews M3GAN currently has a higher score on Rotten Tomatoes than The Godfather – which is hilarious. The Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads: “Unapologetically silly and all the more entertaining for it, M3GAN is the rare horror-comedy that delivers chuckles as effortlessly as chills.”

The hype is real, honestly.

Twitter absolutely stans

Thanks to promotional activity like THIS:

TWO PERCENT!!!!

For all the latest horror film news and to keep up with M3GAN drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.