We’re hiring a News Reporter
We’re looking for an ambitious and passionate young journalist to come and break big scoops
We are hiring a News Reporter to join our team and boost our reputation for bold, exclusive reporting.
It’s an opportunity to launch an impressive career by producing big scoops that get noticed, and to work as part of our exciting young team.
Our goal is to be the mouthpiece of young people in the UK. By breaking stories our audience cares about, you’ll be at the forefront of this.
About The Tab
We are a site covering youth and student culture – reaching five million people every month. We believe young people are overlooked, and we exist to give them a voice. Our coverage includes fighting discrimination and holding authority to account, while at the same time telling you which Netflix shows are worth binging. We are run by young journalists who like being first – our storytelling is brave, original and entertaining.
You’ll be bringing in stories just like these:
Above anything else, you’re an ambitious and passionate young journalist, full of ideas on how to cover issues that matter in a bold way, and with a portfolio of stories to prove it.
You have an eye for a story and the tenacity and ingenuity to find leads. If there’s a big scoop on offer, you’ll go all out to get it.
You’re equally comfortable talking to cagey politicians, everyday victims of injustice, and potential contacts in the pub. Whether dealing with reluctant sources, indecipherable spreadsheets, or hostile press offices you can consistently come out with a story.
You’re dedicated to making sure your stories reach a large audience, and are able to juggle, prioritise, and work to targets to make that happen.
Crucially, you’re in tune with students and young people: you have a sixth sense for what they’re worrying about, what gets them angry, and what they want to know more about.
As a staff writer for The Tab’s national site, you will be responsible for bringing in top-quality scoops, as well as stories every day for thetab.com. This will be a mix of human-led investigations, revealing data stories, jaw-dropping scoops, and quick, punchy write-ups.
Alongside this primary responsibility, you’ll also have a flair for writing takes, fun features, and ideas for other topics covered by The Tab, such as Netflix and pop culture.
Your reporting will help shape The Tab’s coverage of university stories, politics, and current affairs.
Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief
Experience level: Either a graduate, or somebody with 1-2 years’ experience as a journalist
Salary: Dependent on experience
Start date: ASAP
Working from: London (flexible office working available)
– Writing news stories daily for The Tab’s UK site
– Landing scoops that get picked up in the national papers and get noticed by our audience
– Developing human-interest investigations and long-reads
– Send clever FOIs and dig into spreadsheets to find compelling news lines
– Working towards monthly targets as set by the Editor-in-Chief
– Writing stories for other sections of The Tab – features, opinion pieces, Netflix/pop culture – when needed
In a year’s time:
– Your stories will have been read by millions of people
– You’ll have uncovered stories that have gone on to be picked up by national papers
– Competitive salary, based on experience
– Young, sociable and ambitious team
– A mixture of home and office working, and access our Shoreditch co-working space
– Company MacBook
– Early finishes on a Friday
– 25 holiday days each year
– 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app – for your physical or mental health
How to apply
If this job sounds like your dream role and you think you can do it, then apply.
Email Greg Barradale ([email protected]) with the following:
– A one page CV and a one page cover letter.
– Three examples of your work, ideally published in The Tab, similar student or youth-focused publications, or national outlets
– Three ideas for banging Tab news stories, and how you’d pull them off
The deadline for applications is 23:59, Sunday 26th September.