Pizza fries or pub quizzes: What your favourite campus bar says about you as a York student

If it’s the Glasshouse you’re probably a posh girlie, I don’t make the rules x

Here at the Uni of York, we are lucky enough to have five bars spread across both campuses for whenever we need to quench our thirst, grab a drink or two with friends (and maybe a pizza as well), and unwind after gruelling days in seminar rooms and lecture theatres.

Unless you like to switch things up when it comes to visiting the bars on-campus, you probably end up in the same bar every time you go out, without really thinking too much about it.

However, did you know that your favourite campus bar speaks volumes about your personality? Whether you channel convenience like the Courtyard, glamour like the Glasshouse, or the laid-back ambience of the Lounge, your fave campus bar says a lot about your character and tastes as a York student.

So, let’s take a deep dive into each campus bar and what it reveals about your personality.

The Courtyard

If your go-to campus bar is Courtyard then you’re someone who values convenience above everything else. You consider Courtyard your one-stop shop for all of your nutritional needs: Courtyard serves pizzas, fries, and garlic breads, and a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks too. In short, you know that you can always rely on Courtyard to ensure that your hunger pangs are nourished and your thirst is quenched. You know that you’ll be feeling pretty well fed and watered before you leave the venue.

Also, many students I’ve spoken to have said that the Courtyard is their favourite campus bar – so if it’s your fave too, then you might come across as the kind of person that follows the crowd rather than someone who stands out (sorry). Just like the name of the pizza at Courtyard, you’re pretty basic.

D-Bar

If your preferred campus bar is D-Bar then you’re most likely a member of a Derwent college sports team, or just a member of a sports society in general. You love D-Bar purely because it’s familiar to you, and your Wednesday night socials always take place in there, every week, without fail. Plus, the drinks are cheap, the chairs are comfy, and you’ve made many fond memories in there with your teammates over the years. You’re also secretly quite fond of Derwent College nicknaming everything D-something, even though everyone else seems to find it cringey.

Come to think of it, I don’t know a single person whose favourite campus bar is D-Bar. I feel that D-Bar is often overshadowed in conversations by its more popular Derwent cousin, the Courtyard. To be honest, those who prefer D-Bar over all the other campus bars are like a non-existent breed to me…

The Glasshouse

If your fave campus bar is the Glasshouse, you’re most likely a posh girlie from Constantine or Langwith who’s reluctant to depart from the upmarket spot of Campus East. Sorry, but I don’t make the rules! You love cute nights out taking part in pop quizzes or singing karaoke with your besties, and you have a particular fondness for fancy cocktails.

Whenever you’re not busy enjoying a girls night out at the Glasshouse, you can most likely be found on a posh brunch date in town with your best friend or having a chinwag with your parents on the phone. In other words, you have an undeniable taste for the finer things in life, and this is reflected in the fact that the only campus bar on East is your favourite of all of the bars on campus.

The Lounge

If your favourite campus bar is the Lounge then you probably fall into one of two categories. You’re either an avid gamer who’s obsessed with retro games consoles, and you were a little too excited when you found out about the Lounge’s refurbishment into a retro gaming hub over the summer. Or, you’re a committee member of one of York’s societies who’s responsible for organising events and socials in there.

If you haven’t been there yet this year, the Lounge’s transformation over the summer has witnessed the addition of colourful and vibrant graffiti-like decor to the walls, and beloved childhood consoles like a PS2, Wii, and XBOX to the bar. I feel so old now a PS2 is considered a retro games console!

The Vanbrugh Arms (V-Bar)

If, after a long day, you adore grabbing a pint from the Vanbrugh Arms, also lovingly known as V-Bar by students, you’re a friendly, approachable and warm person with a love of community. You can’t get enough of the relaxing yet lively pub-like atmosphere that hits you as soon as you step into V-Bar, and spending a night in there listening to the Monday night jazz band, or performers at the Friday open mics, or having the time of your life singing your heart out at Saturday karaoke, ensures that lots of friendships are formed and lots of smiles and laughter fill your nights out. Ooh, and as someone who absolutely loves music, you harbour a particular love of the vintage vinyl records that adorn the walls.

So there you have it: an insight into what your favourite campus bar says about you as a York student. Did this analysis of your personality based on your preferred bar reveal anything interesting about yourself that you previously didn’t know?