Spotted at York Racecourse: All the 2024 fashion trends at the races this year

The races are on, and so is the fashion game!

Without a doubt, 2024 has proved to be the year of trends, especially in terms of fashion. Taking heavy influence from the 70s all the way through to the early 2000s, Gen Z has reinvented vintage fashion and revolutionised it into a whole new era of fashion. So I thought, what better place to scout out some eye-catching outfits than the event of the season itself – the York races.

Combining both elegance and adrenaline, the races are the perfect opportunity to dust off your flat caps and doll up for the day. Thanks to Invades, students can experience this in their own unique and personal way – the budget version! However, that is not to say that the style they bring is anything less than impressive. With that, here are some of my favourite 2024 fashion trends I spotted, which perfectly matched the aura of race day.

Bows, bows, bows!

I am pretty sure whenever you mention 2024 trends, the first thing anyone will say is BOWS! This year, we have definitely turned a little bow crazy, but I am not mad at it. However, will we look back at this in a few years and think “what on earth were we thinking?” Most likely. I spotted this girl and thought that she had styled this perfectly; the fine white and brown check print of the bow incorporates both the essence of the day and the bow trend seamlessly. Chef’s kiss!

Cowboy boots

Coming up next, we have the holy grail cowboy boots we have all been obsessed with. First spotted on A-List celebs like Bella Hadid, Beyoncé and Kendall Jenner, this Western staple has quickly become Gen Z’s favourite footwear style. The versatility of these shoes is unparalleled, and despite the shear volume of cowboy boots I spotted at the races, every single outfit remained unique. This girl paired hers with a white, flowy mini skirt, which really added to the country aesthetic of the races. She looked like she had just come straight from Footloose – iconic!

Oversized scrunchies

This next trend is both a nod to nostalgia and retro fashion – it’s the oversized scrunchie. A classic from the late 80s-90s, scrunchies were quite literally everywhere during this time and were a pop culture staple. This has to be one of my favourite trends, which I myself, love to add to my outfits. They are so simple, yet can completely elevate your outfit; just take a look at this girl. She has taken this timeless piece and styled it in the most elegant way, pairing it with a red, leather jacket – just perfect for the races. This look is so chic and a displays a perfect example of individualism!

Faux fur

Did someone say fur? That’s right, faux fur is back and trendier than ever! Remaining a cultural phenomenon from the 60s, Gen Z and millennials are now looking to bring back the (faux) fur in a new, modern approach. I quickly noticed these two impressive faux fur hats, which were effortlessly coordinated and perfectly executed – they definitely deserve bonus points for matching! This was the perfect accessory for race day, embodying the quiet luxury aesthetic, but pushing it to the next level. If you love the so-called mob-wife aesthetic, or are trying to achieve that mafioso style, then this could be the trend for you.

A pop of red

Red is one of those colours which will never go out of fashion. Whether it’s a red dress, red lipstick or a certain red sole (if you know, you know), red will always be a showstopper colour. So, it’s official: red is certainly dominating the fashion industry this year and boy, did it dominate the York races too. There is something about the boldness and assertiveness of the colour red which will never get old. To put it simply, never underestimate the power of a pop of red.

Leopard print

Without a shadow of a doubt, the leopard print trend wins the supremacy award for the most influential and powerful comeback! This year, it quite literally sent the fashion world into a animal print frenzy. We’ve seen it on catwalks, on the high streets, on social media, and now we’ve seen it at the races. I spotted this stunning leopard print scarf, which instantly made me realise why we’ve all been consumed by this pattern. It’s daring, fierce, sophisticated, and frankly, a fashion icon!

Chunky rings 

Lately, fashion has increasingly become more and more about originality and expression, urging people to be bold with their clothes and exhibit creativity through their outfits! For a few years now, chunky jewellery has been all the rage, but chunky rings were this year’s IT girl statement piece. Feeding off the “western” and “mob-wife” aesthetics, oversized rings have made quite the lavishing, go-to accessory, championing the new wave of fashion created by Gen Z. This girl understood the assignment perfectly!

Skinny scarves

Talk about a blast from the past! To some people’s dismay, the skinny scarf is back and it’s in style! Possibly one of the most distinguishable accessories from the Y2K era, skinny scarves have been in the shadows ever since, however 2024 trendsetters and IT girls have been sporting them once again. This trend holds many fond memories for millennials and celebrates the playfulness of early 2000s fashion, making it an emotional recollection of those times. And I get it, they are like marmite, you either love them or hate them; however, whatever you may think of this trend, skinny scarves will always have a place in fashion.

Patterned tights 

This last one is a more subtle trend, having a bigger influence on autumn/winter fashion. With the York races taking place in October, it is the perfect opportunity to amp up your outfit with a pair of funky tights. This girl chose to pair a stunning burgundy, corduroy set with black spotty tights, which completely changed her look! It’s a trend fresh off the runway, and has been spotted on many celebs including Victoria Beckham and and Dua Lipa. I mean, if Sabrina Carpenter approves (she loves a sparkly pair), then so do I. With the upcoming colder months, it gives you a chance to experiment around and give your outfits that leg up!

With that concluded, all I can say is that the only thing I should have betted on is the nifty and trendy fashion. In true Invades style, the students attending captured the exact purpose of today’s fashion, showing us that no trend could ever be classier than confidence and individuality.