The York Tab is looking for new writers: Come write for us!

Come to our open meeting on Monday 5th February 6 pm in V/N/123!

Thinking about joining The York Tab? Well, if you are interested in breaking the biggest news stories on campus, writing the most witty feature pieces, or even making trending TikToks all whilst improving your CV then come along to our open meeting!

The Tab is a nationwide publication with a much wider readership than other York student paper. It is a news site written by York Students, for York students and we cover anything related to York. Being involved with The Tab is more than just simply writing articles. Writing for us gives you an insight into how modern media works whilst networking and making friends with new and like-minded people.

We are holding our open meeting on Monday 5th February in V/N/123 at 6pm.

The meeting is open to York students of all years and subjects and no journalistic experience is required. Simply come along and find out more about how to get involved in the UK’s biggest student news publication!

What is The Tab?

The Tab is a student news site with over six million monthly readers. If you are looking to get your name out there you are in luck – as a student writer, your stories will be shared on The York Tab Facebook and Instagram pages, to a readership of thousands of students. Even better, the best articles are also shared across all of our pages and can reach readers all over the UK.

We are always looking for fresh ideas and we cover everything from Long Boi and Taylor Swift to student protests. So, if whether you are enthusiastic about journalism and finding the hottest stories on campus or just in the mood to make some York related memes and TikToks, we want you!

The Tab is the perfect place for a stress-free vibe – as we all know students must prioritise their deadlines (and Wednesday Salvos) so you have the freedom to write for us just once, or every week, depending on your schedule.

If you have any article ideas, our DMs are always open (@theyorktab), or even better coming along to our open meeting!

Why you should get involved?

Stories written by The York Tab have been recognised and picked up by national publications including The BBCThe Daily Mail, and ITV. The York team works with an Assistant Editor at The Tab HQ in London. They provide exceptional training in the basics of reporting and quality advice on how to make your writing stand out.

Tab writers have landed careers at famous publications all over the world, including VICE, The BBC, The Times, and Vogue. Just this year, former Tab student writers started jobs at The Telegraph, The Sun, and Cosmopolitan, with former York Tab Editor securing a job at The BBC!

Even if a career in journalism isn’t your vibe, writing for The Tab gives you great transferable skills that you can add to your CV, such as written and verbal communication, teamwork, and organisational skills.

And for those who are just looking for some stress-free fun, The Tab is a fun way to get a new hobby and make some friends! Who wouldn’t want to enjoy weekly meetings gossiping about the juiciest stories on campus? We even host fun socials for you bond with fellow writers to really maintain that stress-free vibe.

Joining The Tab is also the best way to get back into writing for fun. I mean, who wouldn’t want to spend their free time assigning each college to a cheese?

For those passionate, aspiring journalists out there, you have the chance to break the hottest news stories such as a Salvos bouncer punching a student or students protesting against University of York’s “investment in arms companies”.

So, if The York Tab sounds like something up your street, come along to our open meeting in V/N/123 on Monday 5th February at 6pm. If you’re thinking of coming along, make sure to click going on our Facebook event!

If you have any questions and can’t make the open meeting, message our Instagram, Facebook or our Editor @jessrolfe_ and we’ll get back to you.