Here’s which Taylor Swift album you would be, based on your York college

We can’t all be 1989 (Taylor’s Version, of course)

While I’m sure we’ve all spent this semester listening to 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on loop, everyone has their favourite era or album, each which has its own distinctive aesthetic and style. Likewise, each of York’s colleges is known for having its own reputation (lol) so here is which Taylor Swift album you’d be, based on your York college.

Halifax: Debut

Halifax is one of York’s most overlooked colleges. Yes, it may be miles away from the rest of campus and may be a mystery to some of us, but as the uni’s largest college, there’s got to be more to it than that. There’s definitely a real community in Halifax, as being so far from everyone else they have to unite together. Taylor’s first album is similarly underrated – not even getting its own segment on the Eras Tour (I’m still upset about this) – despite providing some absolute classics.

Langwith: Fearless

While Fearless wasn’t Taylor’s first album, it was the one that really catapulted her into worldwide fame and when her fanbase started to grow into the phenomenon it is today. Langwith, one of York’s founding colleges, definitely captures the fun, carefree vibe of Fearless, and there’s a real sense of community across the college (the houses are adorable). And what better songs to sing at Glasshouse karaoke than Love Story or You Belong With Me?

Anne Lister: Speak Now

I don’t really have an explanation for this one – the two just have similar energy. Maybe its the pretty views or the fancy tower flats that lend Lister a Speak Now-ish vibe, or the fact that everyone there is very wholesome and lovely. Speak Now is a very optimistic album, and as one of Taylor’s (technically) newest albums it seems a fitting one for one of York’s newest colleges who have yet to attain a reputation. Although I don’t know if Taylor would approve of DogSoc.

Vanbrugh: Red

Image via YouTube

Vanbrugh is a weird one because there’s so many different areas (I’m still not sure of where Le Page or Fairfax actually are), but something about the variety of genres on Red seems to match up with the so-called “music college” – is it pop, is it country, is it rock?? One thing I know for sure is that Red is a fan favourite – the Red (Taylor’s Version) era was a great time to be a Swiftie, with us finally receiving All Too Well (10 Minute Version) after nearly a decade. Vanbrugh is one of York’s most popular colleges, with their iconic jazz night in V-Bar and central location, making it perfect for the main-character vibe of Red.

Derwent: 1989

1989 is an era which perfectly captures how it feels to be young, going out every night, spontaneous – all part of the student experience. Derwent is one of York’s most notorious colleges, and their two bars make it a perfect location to start a night out. They’ve got the best of both worlds too, being so close to the lake and some of the most photogenic spots on campus (as long as you crop out the concrete – although if you’re not paying attention you could mistake it for city streets), which fits with the more peaceful, natural vibe Taylor in the new version. And it would feel wrong not to pair Taylor’s most successful album with the uni’s most famous resident, Long Boi (RIP king).

James: reputation

Image via YouTube

This one is self-explanatory. I was warned against James rugby lads before I even arrived in York. Its up to braver people to see if their big reputation is deserved or not – I’d personally choose a Getaway Car, so Don’t Blame Me if the rumours turn out to be true.

Constantine: Lover

It’s not just the pink that gives Constantine its Lover vibe (although there is a LOT of pink). Constantine may have a slightly infamous reputation (similar to Lover’s lead single…) but the residents themselves don’t seem bothered by it, reflecting the carefree, summery energy of the album.

Alcuin: folklore

Alcuin’s close proximity to the library lends it a cosy, studious vibe that matches perfectly with folklore. folklore saw Taylor’s music change from pop to alternative, and the songs moved from being about Taylor’s life to made-up characters and situations. As colleges go, Alcuin is pretty far removed from the centre of campus (all those stairs!) and with a reputation for being quiet, it seems perfect for an album all about escapism.

Goodricke: evermore

Sorry to all Goodricke residents, but seeing as even Taylor herself forgets about evermore, it seemed like an easy choice for the college that nobody knows about. Where is Goodricke? Does anyone actually live there? Your guess is as good as mine. However, evermore does have some of Taylor’s best songs on it (ivy? right where you left me?? champagne problems???) and was nominated for Album of the Year, so maybe Goodricke has more to it than meets the eye (if you can find it). As someone who attended many chaotic pres and afters in Goodricke last year, it might not be the ghost college it seems.

David Kato: Midnights

I’m slightly biased with this one as a former Kato resident who went to sleep before midnight maybe once the whole year, but it does make sense. As Taylor’s newest album, Swifties have yet to see how Midnights will fare at big award shows, just as Kato hasn’t really got a college stereotype yet. Also, the Kato hub has major Midnights energy, as you’re bound to find someone playing pool or watching TV in there at any time of day (very embarrassing when coming home from a night out, by the way).

And there you have it, your Taylor album based on your college. Still waiting for an Eras Tour date in Central Hall to be announced…

Featured image via YouTube