Breaking News

Derwent College is being demolished over complaints it’s an eyesore

Vice Chancellor Charlie Jeffery said: ‘We are hoping this will be a fresh and exciting start for life here at York’

Derwent College at The University of York will be demolished after complaints that it is “an eyesore”, The York Tab can exclusively reveal.

An anonymous Student Union source told The Tab that the demolition will occur this summer whilst no students are living in the college. “The accommodation blocks and surrounding buildings will be knocked down in order to build more modern and appealing buildings,” said the source.

Vice Chancellor Charlie Jeffery said: “Although it’ll be sad to see one of York’s first colleges go, we’re very excited about the new plans we have for the site.”

Last month, The York Tab asked students what they would change about campus and demolishing Derwent was a common response. In fact, on an Instagram poll, 74 per cent of York students agreed demolishing Derwent would improve York’s campus. Well, your wish has finally come true.

This also comes after Derwent was voted the ugliest building on campus.

Whilst it remains unclear whether the new buildings with simply replace Derwent or whether it will be a new college entirely, no 2023/4 freshers will experience a Freshers’ in Derwent this year.

When contacted for comment, Vice Chancellor Charlie Jeffery told The York Tab: “At York, we’re all about student satisfaction and after several meetings and consultations with students we have made the difficult decision to shut down and demolish Derwent to make way for more modern and vibrant accommodation blocks and buildings. Although it’ll be sad to see one of York’s first colleges go, we’re very excited about the new plans we have for the site. We are hoping this will be a fresh and exciting start for life here at York.”

He continued: “Of course, we will always remember and cherish the memories that students and staff have made at Derwent College over the last 58 years and therefore, we will be commencing a social media series sharing all your favourite Derwent memories over the coming months. So please email [email protected] with your most treasured images and stories of Derwent life.”

Lucy, one Derwent student said: “I’m absolutely mortified. I lived in Derwent in my first year and it will always have such a special place in my heart. I seriously don’t get why the uni thought this was a good idea?”

It has also been rumoured that a special duck garden will feature in the plans for the vacant space on campus due to Derwent’s proximity to the lake and its large duck population.

Another student, April, who lives in Constantine College, said: “Honestly, I’m actually so glad. Derwent is just so ugly. Especially when it’s next to the pretty lake and Heslington Hall it just brings the vibe down a lot. I’m glad to see it go and excited to see what is built in its place!”

Has anyone broken the news to Long Boi yet?

Check the date you April Fools!!