Emma Watson Oxford University

Emma Watson is going to Oxford University in September to study a Master’s

This is the second time the Harry Potter star has studied at Oxford

Emma Watson is set to become Britain’s best known uni student in September as she’s joining Oxford University to study a Master’s in creative writing.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the Harry Potter star revealed she’s going back to university having reignited her love for writing during lockdown when she begun writing poetry and a series of essays.

Emma, 33, previously went to Oxford University more than a decade ago when she studied English at Worcester College for a year in 2011 as a visiting student from Brown University in the United States.

She has however always remained closely affiliated with Oxford University. In 2016, Emma became a Visiting Fellow at Lady Margaret Hall. The non-academic role involved her being invited to attend debates and speak at the college.

Describing the role of Visiting Fellow at the time, college principal Alan Rusbridger said : “At a minimum we’d like them to drop in occasionally at college, eat with us and meet informally with a variety of the LMH (Lady Margaret Hall) community.”

After three years as a Visiting Fellow, she was made an Associate Fellow in 2019. The college praised her “valuable work” and highlighted her focus on promoting gender equality and women’s rights.

Emma is originally from Oxford and grew up studying at the Dragon School, a stone’s throw from Lady Margaret Hall, as well as Headington School in the east of the city.

Previously, a former Headington student told The Tab students were not allowed to approach the star for autographs and told not to speak to her if they did not know her.

Girls at the £20,000-a-year private school were apparently sat down by the Head of the Lower School when joining the school and told they would receive “penalty points” if they approached her.

Three penalty points and you were thrown into detention.

Headington graduate Lucy said: “Of course if you were friends with her you could speak to her, but no one was allowed to go up and ask for an autograph or anything.”

Another pupil, Lydia, said: ” I was really scared of getting a penalty point. At the time it would have been so embarrassing.”

However, a spokesperson for the school denied these claims, saying: “There were no special disciplinary measures implemented during Emma’s time at Headington School.’

It’s unclear yet which college Emma Watson will join when she begins her Master’s in September although we’re confident Oxford students don’t have to worry about penalty points or detentions.

• Oxford University hits students with more than £180,000 in library fines in past five years

Exclusive: Pupils at Emma Watson’s school weren’t allowed to approach her

• Here’s what your favourite Oxford study spot says about you

Featured image via HBO Max.