Six top tips to secure your dream grad job as a student in Notts

The process isn’t easy, but with these pointers, you can stand out from the crowd and bag the perfect grad job

The hunt for graduate jobs is challenging and the process can be daunting and tiresome. It isn’t easy finding ways to stand out from the crowd, and it is easy to lose hope. You may experience rejections at any stage of the application process, but each rejection will teach you vital skills and ways to move forward and improve. This list will offer some guidance to ease the application process.

1. Professional and tailored CVs

First and foremost, professional CVs are imperative. A recycled job application for each interview will not suffice. A tailored CV for individual companies will give you an edge on other applicants. Companies sift through numerous applications, so providing a CV that is suited to what they are looking for will bring you into the interview stages. Online CV help offer examples and expectations of the company, which should ramp up your application to a professional level.

Create files for job types and place CVs in the folder that accompany it. Although this may seem arduous, it is a waste of time applying to hundreds of jobs with the same CV that is not job specific, you have to show employers why you are suited to a specific role within that specific company. This will require you to read the job spec in extensive detail to find what they are looking for.  Extensive research around the company itself is imperative, finding out their mission statement and discover what you could bring to the company. There is no need to list every single job you have ever worked, simply incorporate the relevant jobs and how they have made you the ideal candidate for the job.

2. Social media presence and making connections

A professional presence on social media will prevent rejected applications. Companies will search your name through social media platforms, so it is best to avoid inappropriate photos appearing on public profiles. Professional online presence will present you as respectful, trustworthy, and employable. Refraining from drunken or inappropriate photographs will maintain your professional profile. Social media is also a great way to find jobs such as Twitter and LinkedIn. Employers will search for candidates through LinkedIn, so the more connections you make the more likely you will appear in searches. Interactivity on such social platforms will improve your employability and it is also a great place for research. Looking at the stages of how people got into their current jobs will offer you an insight on similar ways to get your dream graduate job.

Making connections and remembering that sometimes it is not about what you know but who you know. Whether this is through word of mouth or if you already know someone in the industry. Companies may offer bonuses to employees that provide recommendations of strong candidates. This will mean it will not only help you but will help themselves if you got the graduate job. Do not hesitate to get in touch with employees and employers of the company who may be able to give you further tips and advice about specific job roles. LinkedIn is a great way to contact others working in the industry who would be sure to lend a helping hand.

3. Expanding your experience

Making yourself more employable is not just about the grades you receive in your final year. Voluntary work, work experience, internships and free online qualifications are just a few examples of ways to stand out amongst your competitors. Employers want to see the passion behind the application, many people graduate university, but it is the extra time and work put in outside of education that will show employers you are truly passionate about their industry. Recruitment agencies specialise in graduate jobs, they get paid a commission for filing a company’s vacancy making them a crucial aide in the graduate job application process. They want you to get a job as much as you do. Also, the careers office and careers fairs at the universities are a chance for you to speak to people in the industry, find out what field you want to enter and what company you would want to work with.

Image may contain: Lighting, Furniture, Chair, Suitcase, Luggage, Reading

4. Be sure you are applying to the right job

Be confident the graduate job is suited to you. You may be tempted to apply to every grad job you see, however you will be spending the majority of your time at work, and you should be doing something you thoroughly enjoy ensuring satisfaction and progression. Make sure you can see yourself doing the job, whilst also analysing the working schedule and pay benefits. This will help you decide if the company is right for you and if their values align with yours. Prioritising applications through deciding your favourites and working down the list will help find the best graduate job you want. Put extra work into the companies you are extremely passionate about to show you really want the job.

5. Be prepared for the interviews

Prepare yourself for the interview stages. Once applications are accepted, the interviews can often seem daunting, but first impressions go a long way. Looking presentable is the first stage, but appropriate language and being sincere will improve general presentation in the interview. Do not rush through the interview, speaking slowly and clearly will show that you do not appear nervous, and you have prepared for the job. Providing specific examples to the questions asked will show that you are have extensive knowledge on the subject and job role. As the interview stages progress the employer will want to learn more about you and your motivations. This will be credited to the amount of research you have done on the company and the job role. Reflecting on your own experiences will help you understand what you have done at university or within personal life to decide what skills will benefit the company. Companies want a snapshot of your personality, so it is all about selling yourself.

6. Stay motivated

Stay motivated. Job hunting is a long and arduous process. You may experience rejections at any stage of the application process, but each rejection will teach you vital skills and ways to move forward and improve. Take away all the positives from each rejection and listen to employers’ feedback to put into play in the next application. Freelance projects will help with paycheques. In your spare time, set a certain number of applications to fill every day. This will help you meet targets and remain stress free. Provide plenty of time when applying, regularly checking companies’ websites for up-and-coming roles. Rushing an application facilitates spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, even missing out vital pieces of information.