‘Inspiring’ film made about Newcastle student who died from cancer now nominated for award

A film dedicated to 19-year-old Lulu Blundell’s life, is being nominated for a Smiley Charity Film Award

A short film made about a Newcastle student who died from cancer has been nominated for a media award.

Lulu Blundell died on New Years’s Day 2023 after battling cancer since age 15. Almost a year on from her death, her short film Lulu: Forever 19, has been nominated for a Smiley Charity Film Award.

As part of Teenage Cancer Trust’s #talkaboutdying campaign, the film is a look back on Lulu’s positive mindset and the support she received from both the charity and NHS colleagues. The film also highlights Lulu’s inspirational words about finding happiness in any situation, read aloud by her mum Carolyn.

The 19-year old’s message urges people to stop worrying so much and appreciate the little things in life. Those who knew Lulu well, continue to adopt the mantra of  “Living like Lulu”.

via Teenage Cancer Trust

In the film, Lulu discusses her journey with cancer and her decision to not go through with chemo after being diagnosed with terminal cancer in April 2022: “For the last three months I’ve been living, breathing and feeling probably most people’s worst nightmare. Two and a half amazing years later full of laughs and smiles, and unfortunately, I found out my cancer has come back in four spots, and I have made the decision to not go through chemo.”

“Despite being told I have relapsed, and now being terminally ill I’ve laughed and loved harder than I ever have in my life the past few months. Happiness can be found in any situation at any point, and a pinch of kindness will never go amiss; behind closed doors someone might need you to be their ray of sunshine”.

via Teenage Cancer Trust

Lulu, who was originally from Rotherham, was first diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Ewing’s Sarcoma at 15-years-old. This condition affects the bones, or tissue around the bones and consequently, Lulu had her lower left leg amputated just months after diagnosis. Throughout her treatment, she was supported by Teenage Cancer Trust at Sheffield’s Weston Park, before relapsing during her time at university. It was here that Lulu was diagnosed with terminal cancer and later cared for at Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

Due to the intensive support from both Teenage Cancer Trust and NHS colleagues, Lulu was able to live her remaining life to the fullest, which can be seen in the film. The 19-year-old attended the Glastonbury Music Festival, went on a girl’s trip to Magaluf, and even secured a part-time position in sales and ticketing with Newcastle Falcons – something she was very passionate about.

The film also shows Lulu crossing the line at her “Run with Lulu” event last September, a charity 5K she organised with her family and local rugby club in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust. Lulu took part herself (despite running on a prosthetic leg, with a broken shoulder blade), and raised over £21,000 to help other young people with cancer.

via Teenage Cancer Trust

Sadly, not long after the event, Lulu’s scan showed the cancer had spread more quickly than expected and she passed away at home on New Year’s Day. This was sooner than anticipated and as such, Lulu’s family have continued her legacy and managed to raise over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.

Moreover, they hope to honour Lulu by appealing to the public to vote for their film, Lulu: Forever 19, to get through to the next stage. You can click here to watch or vote for the short film.

Featured image via Teenage Cancer Trust