What to do in Newcastle this October if your life is feeling a bit too repetitive

It seems you can have too much of a good thing!

The exhilaration of Freshers’ Week is over. You’ll either be drained, broken and bruised or ready and waiting for a new adventure, especially now you’ve been either reunited with or have made some new uni besties. 

If £2 Tuesdays and Sports Nights are getting a little repetitive, we have you sorted for fun and unique activities now that Autumn is truly upon us.  From wholesome to horror, we’ve tried to include a mix of free and ticketed events as we know your initial loan drop will have taken a hit by now. Enjoy!

Oktoberfest, Times Square

A rite of passage for Newcastle students, Oktoberfest is back and better than ever for their fifth year in the Toon. Running from the 13th-28th October, Oktoberfest promises to deliver another unforgettable year filled with traditional Bavarian cuisine, oompah and brass bands as well as plenty of authentic German beers.

New for 2023, punters will have the chance to participate in a Sausage-Eating competition. The current world record was set in 2021 by competitive eater Joey Chestnut, who devoured 76 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. Could it be a Newcastle student that beats this feat?

If that’s not your thing, there will also be a beer Jug-Carrying competition. The current record for carrying the most Steins over a 40-meter distance stands at a staggering 29 jugs. Which one of you talented readers will become the next Oktoberfest champion?

Oktoberfest begins tomorrow in Times Square, so grab your tickets now at www.oktoberfestnewcastle.co.uk – we’ll see you there!

Apple Day, Jesmond Community Orchard

This one is for all the dedicated Tab readers as this event is happening THIS weekend on Saturday 14th October! Jesmond Community Orchard’s Apple Day has been a yearly tradition since October 2009, when the people of Newcastle came together to celebrate all things Apple.

The orchard itself is a community project run by local people, which transformed previously derelict land and provides an accessible space for events, refuge for wildlife, as well as being a quiet place welcome to all to relax. 

This event promises to be fun for all ages with games, crafts, music, and of course apple tasting and apple juice making. If you fancy a slightly different day out with your housemates, you can find out more about the event here.

Baltic, Gateshead Quays 

For uni students that want to immerse themselves in a bit of culture, head down to the Quayside where you’ll find the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Entry is free and there are a variety of events held throughout the year – along with art exhibitions, there are also workshops and craft sessions led by professionals. You can even submit your own work to be displayed through the Baltic Open Submission if you consider yourself a budding artist!

One of the current exhibitions is The Waiting Gardens of the North by renowned Iraqi-American artist Michael Rakowitz. By removing the blinds and allowing the sunlight to enter, the Level Four Gallery has been transformed into a makeshift greenhouse. The artwork was inspired by Baltic’s status as a Gallery of Sanctuary, and has been made in collaboration with people with experience of forced displacement, who now live locally.

Guests are invited to participate in the harvesting of the garden with tea-drying, spice-grinding, distillation of tinctures, and cooking stations. This exhibition is running until Sunday 26th May 2024, so you have plenty of time to go and give it a visit.

Halloween All-Nighter, Tyneside Cinema

Halloween this year is set to be a heavy one, with celebrations likely to last throughout the weekend until the 31st on Tuesday (GDT anyone?) So, if you fancy a challenge in the middle without the booze, how about a movie marathon? 

There will be four themed screens showing 17 different films, running from dusk until dawn on Saturday 29th October 2023. There is something for all with horror classics, alien terror and slasher sequels. Also, new this year is a Halloween quiz with prizes for best dressed, so get your thinking caps on now in preparation! 

If spooky films aren’t your thing, there is also a Twilight marathon coming up (scary in it’s own right?), as well as a Christmas marathon once the festive season approaches, so make sure to keep your eyes out for that.