10,000 University of Manchester students will receive £230 to help with the cost of living crisis

The University of Manchester has announced the second stage of their cost of living support package

The University of Manchester has announced 10,000 students will receive a second cost of living payment. Eligible full time students will receive £230 and part time students will receive £115.

Students will be eligible if they are a part of one of the following groups:

• Students who received a contextual offer from The University of Manchester, for example because they lived in an area of disadvantage when they applied
  • Students who declared during University registration that they were care experienced, estranged, having caring responsibilities or dependents
  • Students who are seeking asylum in the UK
  • Recipients on a list of specific scholarships and bursaries

Eligible students will receive an email by Wednesday 8th March confirming that they are receiving the payment.

UoM has been working together with Students’ Union since summer 2022 to develop the “most extensive cost of living support package available at any UK university”. Today’s announcement revealed the next stage of this plan as part of the £9 million package which was announced in November 2022.

The university has said it is “committed to advocating on behalf of our students to government to improve the situation”. This includes agreeing that the 2.8 per cent increase in the student maintenance loan provided by the UK government is insufficient, ensuring that students’ concerns are heard by Mayor Andy Burnham and advocating for affordable rents.

Furthermore, the university has a support fund that can provide, depending on a financial assessment, non-repayable grants up to £2,000, trained advisors on hand to help with money matters, an emergency loan scheme, and mental health and wellbeing support. Yet, a Tab Manchester investigation found that this can be quite hard to access.

Union Affairs Officer at the Students’ Union, Sam Bronheim said: “We are delighted to announce this second targeted payment to 10,000 students and we’ll continue to announce this second targeted payment to 10,000 students and we’ll continue to collaborate with the University to support the wider student body with the rising cost of living

“We’re also lobbying local and national government, on students’ behalf, to introduce greater financial support for the student community”.