Beyond the Beatles: Liverpool steals the crown as top student city

We’re certainly not surprised…

Liverpool has dethroned the traditional student city giants and claimed the prestigious title of best student city in the UK for 2023. This crowning achievement was based on 9304 student reviews on the StudentCrowd platform in the last 12 months. Let’s delve into what makes this vibrant city on the Mersey the ultimate student haven.

Affordability Ace

Students everywhere know the struggle of sky-high rents and tight budgets. Thankfully, Liverpool shines as a beacon of affordability compared to its pricier counterparts. From cozy flats to lively shared houses, you’ll find accommodation that’s kind to your wallet, leaving more room for pints at the Cavern Club (where The Beatles, no less, got their start!).

Nightlife Nirvana

Speaking of pints, Liverpool’s nightlife scene is legendary. From the pulsating bars and clubs of Concert Square to the trendy cocktail dens tucked away in historic alleyways, there’s something for every taste and every kind of night owl. And let’s not forget the world-famous Mathew Street, where live music spills out of every doorway, from up-and-coming local bands to established acts, all within stumbling distance of each other.

Culture vulture’s Paradise

Liverpool isn’t just about partying, although it’s very good at that too! The city boasts a rich tapestry of history and culture, with world-class museums like the Tate Liverpool and the Museum of Liverpool showcasing everything from maritime marvels to modern art. Catch a play at the Everyman Theatre, explore the Victorian grandeur, or delve into the city’s musical heritage at The Beatles Story Museum.

Liverpool’s location on the northwest coast of England opens up a world of day trip possibilities. Hike through the breathtaking Snowdonia National Park, explore the charming seaside town of Llandudno, or hop on a ferry to Dublin for a taste of Irish charm.

Warm Scouse welcome

Perhaps the most special thing about Liverpool is its people. The Scouse locals are renowned for their warmth, friendliness, and sense of humour. They’ll welcome you with open arms, invite you to a cuppa, and regale you with stories of the city’s rich history and vibrant character.

Beyond the accolades, here are some additional reasons why Liverpool is a top choice for students:

• Top-ranked universities: The city is home to various prestigious universities such as the University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool Hope University and Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, all offering a wide range of courses and excellent academic facilities.
  • Thriving job market: Liverpool’s economy is booming, with a growing tech sector and a strong creative industries scene. This means plenty of internship and job opportunities for students looking to gain experience.
  • Excellent transport links: Getting around Liverpool is easy with a well-connected public transport system, including buses, trains, and the iconic Mersey Ferry.
  • Green spaces galore: From the leafy oasis of Sefton Park to the stunning coastal walks along the Mersey, Liverpool offers plenty of green spaces to escape the city bustle and unwind.

Whether you’re a history buff, a music lover, a party animal, or simply someone who loves a good cuppa and a friendly chat, Liverpool has something for you. You might just find yourself crowned a Scouser for life!

Recommended stories by this author:

The Liverpool night bus is (finally!) making a comeback and we can’t wait

•10 types of people you will meet in your first month at University of Liverpool

How Sport Liverpool’s Movember campaign has helped beat the November blues