Your Lincoln Freshers’ checklist: the top must do things before Freshers’ Week

Make sure you make the most of Freshers’ Week with these five tips

Getting ready for your first year of uni can be scary, nerve-racking, and daunting no matter how excited you may be for the year ahead. So it’s always good to be prepared for anything Lincoln might throw at you during Freshers’ Week. Luckily, after surviving our first year, we are happy to share our favourite tips and tricks that are sure to help you start your time at Lincoln on the right foot.

Picking the right societies

Societies are a big part of any university experience, being a great way to make friends and discover new passions. Lincoln is lucky enough to have a multitude of choices when it comes to societies, from archery to the book club, and even the Taylor Swift Society. But choice can make choosing the one for you a daunting endeavour.

Our advice? Have a look at what’s on offer. Even if this means browsing sports and societies on the SU website before the society fayre, the smallest bit of preparation makes the decision that little bit less overwhelming.

And don’t be afraid to try before you buy. Sometimes societies are not all they chack up to be so a mental note about society taster socials can be a useful decider.

Getting in touch with your flatmates

Not knowing the people you’ll be living with for a whole year can be a terrifying prospect. After all, this will be a group that, whether you like it or not, you’ll be spending a lot of time with in your first year. This is a fear that Lincoln helps ease particularly well.

The best solution? Get on those Facebook groups. All the notifications can be annoying at first but once the flats get announced it won’t be hard to find your flatmates within the Facebook abis. And most importantly, you’ll be ahead of the game when it comes to making the all-important group chat!

Getting to know your new flatmates is done. Now onto the important chats, like whos buying the toaster.

Prepping your Fresher’s ticket

Despite being a small city, Licnoln is mighty when it comes to a night out. There is so much to do during freshers week from special club nights at Home, Quack, and Superbull to all the fayres and quizzes hosted around the city. But the biggest freshers’ nights out aren’t just for the newbies, so tickets sell out fast.

So if freshers week is the ultimate sesh you’ve been waiting for get your wristbands early.

Cooking Skills

Finally, exams are done. Now uni is ready to hand you your toughest task yet: Cooking a decent meal for yourself. Sure you could live off pasta every week or scrap cooking altogether for takeaways, but pasta gets boring quickly and takeaways are a good way to blow your loan within the first week.

So getting some basic cooking skills under your belt can really help for the first year, even if it’s just getting a family member to show you how to cook an omelette or trying out recipes from tik tok.

A good diet at uni is important for feeding your brain to survive morning lectures and giving your body enough energy for the night out.

Email and ask questions

With all the excitement of freshers, it’s easy to forget that life at university takes getting used to. You won’t know everything your first week, and it’s easy to get lost around campus, get confused navigating Blackboard, or not know what Minerva or David Chissik is.

So email your lecturers, ask in the library, or message course group chats if you need help.  Remember, every other student on campus will have gone through the same thing and will be happy to answer any questions or point you in the right direction for the lecture you already running late to.

For now, we’re here to give you a head start, Minerva’s the big building by the Brayford on campus.