Lancaster University staff set to receive pay uplift

A national pay uplift of 5-8 per cent will be implemented following negotiations

Staff at Lancaster University will soon receive a pay uplift of 5-8% following negotiations between the University & College Employers Association (UCEA) and trade unions.

This follows a pause in industrial strike action for two weeks to allow negotiations to take place, suspending strikes on Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd February and Monday 27th, Tuesday 28th February, Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd March.

Staff on lower pay grades will receive higher rates, and a portion will be paid six months earlier than usual in light of cost of living pressures.

While the trade unions did not accept the UCEA’s pay uplift offer, a resolution was not reached in the negotiations. Therefore, the UCEA advised that universities should implement the current pay offer.

Negotiations on the annual pay uplift have concluded, but ongoing talks will consider issues such as tackling workloads, casualisation, and closing equality pay gaps. Negotiations on pensions will also continue.

Strikes continue across the next two weeks, with an additional strike day announced for Wednesday 15th March. This adds to the original strike days of Thursday 16th, Friday 17th, Monday 20th, Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd March.

Related articles recommended by this writer: