Our bank accounts are cheering: Lancaster University’s food services join Too Good to Go

Barkers, Marketplace and Pendle Brew are among the food services that will join the app

Lancaster University has partnered with the Too Good to Go app in an attempt to tackle food waste on campus.

The app allows restaurants, businesses and cafés to sell mystery “magic bags” filled with unsold food each day at a significant discount. This allows businesses to reduce their food waste.

The University will be selling “magic bags” at Barkers, Marketplace, Pendle Brew, The Hub and The Deli.

Other food services currently affiliated with Too Good to Go on campus are Greggs and Spar.

Approximately 9.5 million tonnes of food waste are currently thrown away in the UK every year, with the vast majority of this waste being taken to landfill sites, according to the Business Waste website.

The partnership forms part of the university’s sustainability strategy, with other initiatives including the use of local food suppliers as much as possible and a reduced number of supplier deliveries to campus.

Related articles recommended by this writer: