Lancaster University announces support for cost of living crisis

Students struggling can access free meals and monetary support

Lancaster University has introduced new schemes to support students struggling with the cost-of-living crisis.

University and Students’ Union representatives have worked with the Cost of Living Working Group to create schemes providing financial and specialist support.

These initiatives include accessible college funds, free meals, and other specialist support available to everyone.

For students struggling financially, each college has been given a support fund to provide to those facing monetary difficulties. More information can be found here. Further financial support includes the Lancaster Opportunity and Access Fund (LOAF). This fund has increased in size to £500,000 in 2022-23. Emergency loans are also available.

Free meals and food are also available through the WTF: Where’s The Food? scheme. This provides a hot meal to any student and can be accessed via colleges. Furthermore, the Students Union is offering a breakfast club, in which students can access a free morning meal on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Information on free food events can be found here.

Students can make use of community cupboards which have been set up in every college, providing free food and hygiene products for those in need.

Featured image via @lancasteruni on Instagram and lancastersu.co.uk

Related articles recommended by this writer: