Glasgow University Conservatives ask the uni to publicly support Israel in open letter

The association referred to the university’s silence as ‘shameful’

The Glasgow University Conservatives and Unionists association released an open letter to the university asking them to publicly show support for Israel following the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a complex and long-standing conflict over land, resources, and national identity resulting in the displacement of millions of people and the deaths of thousands.

In a post on their Instagram, the society shared the open letter and said the university’s silence was “shameful” as “Israel exercises its right of self defence”.

In the letter, Glasgow University Conservatives and Unionists made a series of requests, including sending a formal email expressing support for Jewish students, provide better support services for students impacted by terror crimes, and lighting the main campus building in the Israeli colours to show solidarity.

Four military incursions into Gaza have been conducted by Israel: in 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2021. In the most recent conflict, over 900 Israeli lives have been lost.

The open letter claimed that “an institution that correctly supports Ukraine against Russian attack, but refuses to speak up against terrorists murdering innocent men, women and children in Israel is an institution that has lost its way”.

Speaking to The Tab, GU Conservatives said: “These evil attacks are above student politics. A number of our members have links to the Jewish community and Israel. These attacks impact people the same, whether you’re Labour, SNP, Green, Lib Dem, or Tory. Speaking out and supporting this community is a matter of conscience. It’s about doing the right thing.”

“Our university rightfully spoke up on behalf of Ukraine in 2022. The university now has a responsibility to do the same now… This administration must send the strong message that it stands with Israel and the Jewish community, and that antisemitism will not be tolerated.”

The University of Glasgow have been approached for comment.