Here’s everything you need to do this summer as a Glasgow student

The ultimate summer bucket list

If you’re spending your summer in Glasgow this year and are struggling for ideas, here are some classic Glasgow summer plans. While most of the bucket list depends on the blessing of Scottish sun, there are some things suitable for the more realistic weather conditions we’ve had this summer in Glasgow.

Paesano’s in Botanics

Iconic, of course. Paesano’s is one of Glasgow’s treasures and offers some of the best pizza going.

Grabbing a Paesano’s on Great Western Road and then heading to the Botanic Gardens or Kelvingrove Park to sit in the sun and eat your pizza is truly an essential to any Glasgow summer bucket list.

Kelvin Walkway

While you’re up Botanic Gardens, take a walk or cycle on the Kelvin Walkway. The walkway follows the River Kelvin from Milngavie to Glasgow Heliport.

However, part of the route is through the Botanic Gardens, providing a shorter walk to explore if you are in the west end. There is also a starting point at the Glasgow Riverside Museum next to Partick train station.

Kelvingrove Park

Sticking with the west end theme, Kelvingrove Park (also part of the Kelvin Walkway) is another Glasgow summer classic. The iconic big hill in the park is known for boozy picnics and sunbathing – essential to a Glaswegian summer.

The park also has the Kelvingrove bandstand which puts on small gigs throughout the summer!

Art Galleries

Right next to Kelvingrove Park is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum! Often overlooked by students, all art galleries are free to visit and provide a fun day out. Ideal if you want to learn more about Glasgow’s history and fancy some bucket list ideas which don’t rely on sunny weather!

Outside Kelvingrove Art Gallery, grab something to eat from the food trucks. Mactassos serve the best Greek gyros for around a fiver.

Beach Trip

If the weather has blessed us, take a day trip to any of the beaches surrounding Glasgow. Balloch, Troon, Irvine, Ayr and Luss all have train routes from Glasgow.

Charity shopping in Partick / up Byres Road

Starting in the Thornwood area of Partick, walking up Dumbarton Road, then onto Byres Road is the perfect charity shopping trip on a sunny day. Shopping in charity shops is cheap and sustainable – perfect for student budgets and helping us do our bit in saving the planet.

Once you’re mid-way through your shopping day – grab some ice cream at the University Café (some of the best in Glasgow) or once you’ve finished working your way up Byres Road, head to Loop & Scoop on Great Western Road.

Subcrawl

If you’re looking for class day drinking plans or big night out, buy an all-day ticket and make your way round every subway station to have a drink at each. Subcrawls are loads of fun, especially if there is a theme!

The Barras for shopping, food, walk along the Barrowland walkway

The Barras Market, located in Gallowgate, has a mixture shopping stalls, food trucks and pubs.

Over 100 years old and world famous, the Barras continue to be a hotspot for locals and tourists. Even if you don’t fancy buying anything, the new life brought to the Barras including art and entertainment popups, make the markets a good place for a walk around.

The Barras is also home to the Barrowland Ballroom, a popular concert venue with an impressive list of artists who have performed there.

The “Barrowland Park Album Pathway” details the some of the iconic acts who have played in the Barrowlands. It’s just outside, to the right of the venue, and is a fun walk – learn who has played there and count how many artists you know or would want to see perform.

Burrell Collection

The Burrell Collection, located inside Pollock Park in the southside of Glasgow, has recently undergone some renovations. It’s free entry and has interactive experiences for all age. Pollock Park itself is a nice place for a walk and close by the Burrell Collection. Plus, you can visit horses and highland cows.

Both the pretty scenery of the park along with the Burrell Collection make for a well worthwhile trip and addition to your bucket list.

Ashton Lane for food, drinks, and cinema

Any Glasgow student bucket list would not be complete without mention of Ashton Lane.

Perfect for daytime or night plans, Ashton lane has amazing restaurants, bars and a cinema. The Grosvenor Cinema is a small and cosy cinema which has a super cool vibe.

Ashton Lane offers many different food choices but my personal favourites that need to be added to a summer bucket list are Ramen Dayo and Ashoka.

Ashton Lane is also home to many bars, including the summer essential, Vodka Wodka.

Vodka Wodka has an unreal cocktail menu and great student discounts during the week. The outside seating is always a great atmosphere on a sunny day in Glasgow, but don’t fret, there are heaters so the outside area is always an option.

Related articles recommended by these authors: