Edinburgh man charged with assault after Cowgate attack on cyclist

A man on a bike was thrown to the ground after refusing to move for a car

A man has been charged following an assault on a cyclist.

Joseph Hedley, 37, was filmed engaging in a heated altercation with the cyclist on High School Wynd, located in the Cowgate area. 

A video circulated online shows Hedley put his hands around the cyclist’s neck and push him to the ground, before returning to his car.

The incident took place on Friday 20th September around 6:30pm, near to popular Edinburgh haunts like the Pilgrim Bar and Bar Fifty.

In the video, the cyclist is seen mounted on a bike and is blocking the front of the car, engaging in a conversation with a woman.  

Hedley then gets out of the vehicle, moving towards the cyclist, and engages in a verbal spat between the cyclist and a female, who seems to have been in the passenger seat.

Passers by on the street watching the situation unfold can be heard shouting “go on then big man” as he steps out of the vehicle.

via Reddit

He is then seen grabbing the cyclist by the neck and throwing him to the ground before returning to his car.

As the cyclist and his bike fall to the ground the mudguard on the front wheel of the bike is ripped off as the wheel turns sharply. The person recording the altercation can be heard saying “he’s just absolutely f****ed it” while onlookers on the street shout in amusement.

The cyclist is left on the street holding his head as Hedley and the woman get bacj in the car. According to Police Scotland, the 34-year-old was taken to hospital from the scene. 

via Reddit

On Friday, a spokesperson for Police Scotland confirmed that Hedley had been arrested and charged with “assault to severe injury, impairment and danger to life”.

Hedley appeared in Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday 23rd September and entered no plea. He has been committed for further examination and granted bail.

No date has been set for his return to court.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Featured image via Reddit