History-making Welsh student secures deal with Exeter Chiefs for the upcoming season

Isaac Godfrey is one of seven to sign for the Gallagher Premiership side

Welsh student and tighthead prop Isaac Godfrey has been signed by the Exeter Chiefs for this season.

Isaac began his rugby journey at Senghenydd RFC in Caerphilly and has excelled as a player ever since. Isaac also became a junior academy player at Cardiff Rugby, playing for the under-16 and under-18 sides in age-grade rugby. 

Alongside his academy commitments, he continued to represent multiple Cardiff sides such as Llandaff Cathedral School, Whitchurch High School and Cardiff School demonstrating his ample ability as a player. 

There were hopes that Godfrey would be attending Cardiff Met this academic year, however he pursued another opportunity and headed to Exeter University. Since being in Exeter, the prop has debuted in the BUCS Super Rugby league and scored a try on his first appearance for the university’s side. 

Standalone from these achievements, Isaac made history in December last year by scoring the first try for the under-18’s Barbarians squad just four minutes into a celebratory game against Rugby School. Following his performance in the game, Isaac was named player of the match. This celebratory event between the two esteemed sides marked 200 years since the creation of rugby when William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it at Rugby School. 

The Exeter director of rugby, Rob Baxter, spoke to Wales Online and said the seven players who have signed for the premiership club are “a perfect indicator of our pathway and academy really working across all systems and all entry points”. He added “there’s a nice mixture of guys who have come through our academy long term, from being based in Devon and Cornwall with our centres in Truro and Exeter”.  

Referencing the way Godfrey entered the premiership scene, Baxter told Wales Online: “There are also guys who have taken the opportunity from outside the area to come to the university and some others who we’ve actively looked to recruit to bring them into our pathway”.   

Featured images via YouTube

Related articles recommended by this writer: