Cardiff students can once again get taxis home from nights out even if they have no money

The Safe Rides scheme is back in the city for its 12th year

Veezu’s Safe Rides initiative has returned to Cardiff for its 12th year, meaning students can get home safely even if they have no money.

The scheme is designed to help students in vulnerable situations and has become a crucial welfare method in Cardiff for over a decade. 

Veezu has a long-standing partnership with both Cardiff University and Cardiff Metropolitan University’s Students’ Unions, ensuring students can always get a ride home safely, even if they don’t have money on hand. Members at both universities’ SUs are fully trained to offer support and advice about the Safe Rides service and take payments when required at a later date.

Speaking with Wales Online, Madison Hutchinson, the president of Cardiff Students’ Union, said: “We appreciate Veezu’s ongoing support through the Safe Rides initiative, which is invaluable in keeping our students safe.

“This service provides peace of mind to both students and their families, and we’re excited to continue working together to support our university students throughout the academic year.”

So, how does it work?

Students can either call Veezu Taxis at 029 2033 3333 and mention the Cardiff University Safe Taxi Scheme or Cardiff Metropolitan University Safe Rides Scheme, and a vehicle will be sent to stranded students as a priority.

Students must have a valid student card or give their name and quote their student number to the driver as proof of ID.

After the ride, the driver will pass on your student number to the relevant Students’ Union to follow up for payment. This fare will need to be paid to the Students’ Union within 72 hours of the ride.

Will Fuller, the CEO of Cardiff Metropolitan University, said: “We are incredibly grateful to Veezu for [its] continued support through the Safe Rides initiative.

“This service plays a vital role in ensuring the safety and well-being of our students, especially during times of need. We look forward to continuing our collaboration and strengthening our partnership to provide the best possible experience for Met students.”

Veezu also prioritises safety by ensuring that all of its drivers are DBS-checked. The company also offers service around the clock, making it easy for students to travel to and from lectures, social events, or study sessions at any time of the day.

The Safe Rides scheme was initially launched in 2012 as a partnership between Cardiff University Students’ Union and Dragon Taxis, following the initiative by the Welfare and Community Officer, Megan David. It aimed to ensure students a safe ride home after a night out, but now the scheme has expanded to help students navigate the city in a range of situations.

Jack Price, regional director of Veezu, said: “We’re here to support students moving to a new city and help them settle into Cardiff student life. This service ensures they can get home safely without the stress of worrying about a fare.”

Through this ongoing service, Veezu’s Safe Rides continues to play a vital role in keeping Cardiff’s student community safe for another academic year.

Feature image credit: YouTube

Related articles recommended by this writer: