There has been a confirmed case of meningitis at Cardiff University

The university has said there’s no need for students to be concerned

A student at Cardiff University has been diagnosed with meningitis.

The university announced the information to students via the Cardiff Students app and explained Public Health Wales had alerted university staff of the confirmed case.

A Cardiff University spokesperson told The Cardiff Tab that those who are considered close contacts of the student have been alerted and everyone who requires it, has received medication.

Meningitis is a disease that can affect anyone at any time and the university has said that it is important for students to be aware of the symptoms which include a headache, fever, drowsiness, vomiting, neck stiffness, and possibly a red rash which doesn’t fade when pressed with a glass cup.

If you are to develop any of the above symptoms, you should seek medical advice immediately.

The university spokesperson also added that there isn’t a need to contact your GP unless you feel unwell or if you’re not up to date with your vaccinations, of which you should’ve received a dose when you were around 14 years old.

If you need further information about meningitis, you can call 111 or visit the NHS website.