Cathays man pleads guilty to three counts of possessing indecent images of children

He had originally claimed the phone containing the images belonged to a friend

A man living in Cathays has plead guilty to possessing indecent images of children.

Soltan May, 28, of Cathays, plead guilty this week to three counts of possessing indecent images of children. He was arrested on July 27 last year and originally claimed that the phone on which the images were found belonged to a friend who had since gone to Saudi Arabia.

As well as Category B and C images of child abuse, May was found in possession of 31 Category A images.

According to Wales Online, May’s lawyer, Helen Randall has expressed concerns that he will find it difficult to adapt to prison as he does not speak English or Welsh and noted that her client had already spent time behind bars on remand.

It was also reported by Wales Online that May had no previous convictions.

Nik Strobl, speaking for the prosecution told the court that May possessed one video involving children as between six and ten years old, whilst others featured children as young as six years old.

Presiding over May’s hearing, Judge Richard Twomlow sentenced the defendant to ten months in prison, as well as subjecting him to a sexual harm prevention order, and also, to sexual offender notification requirements for ten years.

Feature Image Credit: South Wales Police