Which romcom to watch for Valentine’s based on your subject

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have the perfect film suggestion for you x

Just because Cambridge looks like the perfect setting for a storybook romance, with its gorgeous buildings and coffee shops perfect for a meet-cute moment, it doesn’t mean romance is always easy to find. So, instead of texting your ex or swiping right on Hinge, buy some popcorn and get cosy for a night of cheesy romance. To stop endless scrolling on Netflix, I have put together an objectively perfect list of suggestions, based on the subject you study.

HSPS/English Lit/History

Image Credits: Flickr via Creative Commons License

Obviously, if you study HSPS or English Lit, you need to watch “10 Things I hate About You’. Kat Stratford *basically* invented feminism and she falls in love with Patrick Verona, played by Heath Ledger. What more could you want? I haven’t even mentioned the paintball scene yet…

Other suggestions include “She’s the Man” which is outrageously cringey but so so fun. Both of these suggestions are actually based on Shakespeare, and I imagine they are exactly what he would have wanted.

Economics

Hmmm… My expert opinion would recommend “The Proposal” and “Pretty Woman”. Both feature high-powered, driven, rich business people who fall in love and learn there is more to life than their career.

Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic

Very challenging but there is only one obvious choice. “How to Train Your Dragon” – Hiccup and Astrid have a great friends-to-lovers storyline, and it has the perfect amount of nostalgia.

Maths/Comp Sci/NatSci

It’s actually scientifically impossible for me to make a suggestion and not acknowledge the stereotypes surrounding these subjects. That is why I have to suggest the 1999 Rom-com classic “Never Been Kissed” and one of Steve Carrel’s greatest performances – “40-year-old virgin”.

Sorry xx

Education

This was a slightly more difficult choice but I decided on “13 going on 30”. Childhood and all that.

Law

“Legally Blonde”. Next.

Geography/MML

“Love Actually”.’It’s a Christmas film, I hear you cry! I don’t care. It has “Love” in the title. Oh, and the reason this is perfect for all my travel lovers out there – it has an airport! Airport = travel = geography + languages. Undeniable logic. Bonus if you’re learning Portuguese.

Land Economy

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget about you! The only film I can suggest is “Clueless” because that is how I feel when someone tries to explain what Land Ec actually is.

Medicine/Philosophy

This may seem like an unusual grouping but “Me Before You” is a beautiful romance which raises questions about medical ethics. Perfect for the philosophers and medics. Also, “The Big Sick” is another heart-wrenching film, which is based on a true story.

DISCLAIMER: “Me Before You” is not a Rom-Com, it’s just a Rom! Tissues will be needed. Watch at your own risk!

The End…almost

I will end with one final suggestion for all my hopeless romantics and optimists out there: “Friend with Benefits” starring Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake.

Happy Valentine’s!

Feature Image Credits: Flickr via Creative Commons License