Top 10 student discounts and cheap spots for food and drink in Bristol to help avoid your overdraft

Don’t sacrifice your nutritional needs for the sake of the sesh

With the endless nights out of Freshers’ behind us, reality is going to start to settle in. The next student loan drop is forever away, but that’s no reason to become shut in; there are plenty of locations in Bristol where a good time won’t leave you eating instant noodles for the rest of the week. Whether you fancy a cheeky pint, hearty roast, or lovely coffee, here are 10 of the best student discounts and deals so we can indulge without dipping into next month’s rent.

1. Mocha Mocha

A cheap instant coffee in a rancid student mug is not going to provide the same endorphins as a beautifully crafted Mocha Mocha dirty chai. This St Michaels coffee shop provides a student discount on both generously portioned food and premium coffees. A coffee and a bap before 11am will cost students only £5. Located behind the ASS, it’s perfect for a quick refuel between lectures.

2. The White Bear

It’s no wonder White Bear is a student favourite with £2.90 pints, £4 doubles, and £1 shots; you genuinely can’t complain. Along with its cheaper-than-Spoons prices, the vibes are immaculate with a playlist of bangers, a fun photo booth, and aesthetic seating inside with tables outside too.

3. Den and Terrace

Situated near the Victoria Rooms, Den and Terrace offers amazing prices with £3 pints between 12-3 daily. From 3pm until 5pm, “Beat the Clock” commences, meaning your drink is priced to match the exact time when you order it. A great spot if you want to get day drunk. After 5pm, the prices remain affordable for both food and drink. The outdoor seating is a great sun-trap during the summer too!

4. The Hatchett Inn

Opposite Orchard Heights and Unite House, the Hatchett Inn is a historic, charming Grade II listed pub that opened in 1606. Although drinks aren’t the cheapest, the Sunday Roast is discounted to £9.50 for students. With massive portions and the best gravy ever, it’s a student favourite. However, the roast runs out, so make sure to go early afternoon to avoid disappointment.

5. The Cocktail Club

Situated on the Triangle, The Cocktail Club gives students an astounding 50 per cent off Monday to Wednesday. You also get free popcorn which is always a bonus. A great place for a date or a girl’s night with delicious drinks, dim lighting, and a great playlist. It closes at 2am which makes it a handy place to visit later in the night.

6. Hope & Anchor

With beautiful outdoor seating, the Hope & Anchor pub is an excellent choice for a chill evening. Their signature apple and pear cider is delicious at only £3.50 a pint. On Tuesdays, the pub quiz is great fun, so get your brainbox mates together to win big. The student-conscious pricing makes it not only super affordable but also a lovely place to enjoy for an entire evening.

7. Balloon Bar

In Bristol’s SU, it’s no wonder Balloon Bar offers amazing deals. “Pint and a slice” Fridays offer a Carlsberg or Thatcher’s Gold with a slice of pizza for just £5. There are also lunchtime deals during the week, as well as half-price pints on Wednesdays between 4pm and 7pm. Although it isn’t necessarily a favourite for atmosphere, it is cheap and cheerful and handy to pop in after any activities at the SU.

8. Vittoria

On Whiteladies Road, Vittoria is a great spot for an evening of cocktails or a Sunday roast. They offer happy hour deals, with cocktails for £5 before 10pm and £6.50 after. The Sunday roast is not the cheapest but a great place to go when your parents are visiting. However, you’ll struggle to find cheaper cocktails and better vibes – another great date spot too!

9. Parsons Bakery

Parsons is an iconic Bristol student favourite. With locations all around Bristol, the food and coffee are yummy and super cheap, with their sausage rolls rivalling Greggs. Their meal deal is priced at £4.50 for any cake, sandwich and drink – perfect for lunch between lectures with one of their locations being behind the ASS.

10. The White Harte

As a Bristol University hotspot, The White Harte offers many student deals. However, to access these deals you’ll have to sign up to Uni Crew – all you need is an ac.uk email address. Once signed up, you get a free welcome drink plus many offers and deals throughout the year. They also do 2-4-1 cocktails every day. The pool tables are popular, and all sports are streamed, making it a key pub for sport-loving students.