Thousands of people cycle through Bristol for ‘Drum and Bass on the Bike’ event

‘At the second one he ever did, there was about 30 people. It’s insane to see how in three years it’s gone crazy’

Dom Whiting returned to Bristol this Sunday for his Drum and Bass On The Bike event. Last year, this massive bike ride shut down Bristol’s centre, and it looks like he’s done it again.

Where better to host a huge DnB set than Bristol, and clearly the public and students agreed as thousands came out to support him. They pedalled, roller-skated, scootered and ran through Bristol for two hours, covering everywhere from the Triangle to Stokes Croft.

The Bristol Tab spoke to a third year social policy student who has been supporting Dom at his Bristol events from the start: “At the second one he ever did, there was about 30 people. It’s insane to see how in three years it’s gone crazy”.

It’s not surprising that this event has become so popular because it “brings so many different people together and makes them all so happy”. Dom clearly attracts a community of people who just want to share a good experience in the sun. “You’d accidentally hit someone and they’d turn around… and they’d just have the biggest smile on their face.”

Dom, better known as “DJ on a Bike”, started the movement in lockdown by organising thousands of people to join him on public cycle rides while he plays a set.

He built the mobile decks himself and it’s all run by a portable battery; Dom said: “The only thing that’s not powered is the wheels!”.

Dom also prioritises sustainability by providing eco-friendly party poppers and asking everybody to pick up after themselves to stop people from leaving litter.

Dom will be back on May 7th for a special bank holiday event. Keep your calendar free as it should have a big turnout and could be the perfect revision break.