Crumbl Sydney TikTok cookies drama

Explained: The insane viral TikTok drama of the fake Crumbl Sydney cookie pop-up

The actual founder of Crumbl cookies had to speak out against it

There is nothing I relish more than a disaster, and it is safe to say that Crumbl Sydney has had a disaster of epic proportions. Mostly self inflicted, but a disaster nonetheless. If your TikTok FYP is anything like mine right now, you will have been swamped with a saga of epic proportions. People running an account called Crumbl Sydney have encountered massive backlash after selling Crumbl cookies at a high price after buying them in the US and shipping them over – resulting in major moans that they were stale. Obviously. Here’s the simplest explanation of the TikTok Australia Crumbl cookies drama

Organisers created Instagram and TikTok accounts for Crumbl Sydney, an invite only pop up shop in North Bondi. The line of influencers was massive – as Crumbl cookies are having an it girl moment and the brand currently has no branches in Australia. The social media feeds have now been disabled, with the Instagram account getting banned.

The organisers sought to sell Crumbl cookies in Australia and did so by making a massive order of $6000 worth of the cookies, which they then imported over. The influencers were then asked to pay $17.50 Australian dollars – which is equivalent to double what one would cost in the US.

The drama got so juicy when people spent a fortune on trying Crumbl cookies for the first time and starting to make videos on TikTok reacting to it – but then pulling faces and clearly being visibly disappointed.

@elle_easternsuburbsmum

Crumbl hates to see me coming😭

♬ original sound – Elle

Because of all the backlash, Crumbl Sydney released a statement. “We want to address the drama surrounding the event,” the statement began. “We never claimed to be an official Crumbl store. This was clearly stated in bio and our comments. Our goal was to bring the authentic Crumbl cookies to Australia by importing the cookies directly from the USA.”

“We traveled to the US to purchase the cookies and imported them with their original packaging. We did not bake them ourselves. See below Crumbl recipes and matching bank transfers.

The organisers say they did not use Crumbl’s trademark in their videos and attempted to keep the cookies in the best quality. “Crumbl cookies should be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or refrigerated for up to 7 days. We kept them to these requirements. Some were warmed to enhance their texture, which is what Crumbl does as well.”

They finished up saying “We apologise that they don’t live up to expectations, however they are just cookies at the end of the day. While there may be a small difference in quality, some flavors may not appeal to some people. A lot of people have reached out to us who were there saying they were delicious and thank you for selling them.”

Crumbl cookies founder Sawyer Hemsley was quick to say that Crumbl Sydney was “not affiliated” with Crumbl. In response to the TikTok drama, the actual Crumbl cookies has addressed the saga with their own statement, saying in a statement to PEOPLE “While the pop-up in Australia was not sponsored by Crumbl, we love seeing excitement for Crumbl around the world. Currently, there are Crumbl locations in all 50 states in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico,” the statement read. “We look forward to expanding to other countries in the future. Information about new international locations will be shared through our official Crumbl communication channels.”

For more like this article plus all the latest news, drops, quizzes and memes, like The Tab on Facebook. 

• A guy on TikTok has a wild theory about why time feels like it goes so much faster since 2020

• Funerals, vegans and in-laws: The most debated Am I the A******? Reddit posts of all time

• The Russell Group unis where students are the most fed up with their uni experience, according to The Times