The Sims 5 no plans

RIP The Sims: EA confirming no plans for The Sims 5 just finally destroyed the franchise

Announcing endless The Sims 4 updates and expansions proves the company doesn’t care about the fans

Let’s not beat around the bush: We all hate The Sims 4. If you are a proper fan of The Sims franchise, you will know full well that something has been rotten right to the core about the game since its disastrous launch. The Sims 4 has always had issues, always felt like a step back. The Sims 2 and 3 have their respective fans who argue each is the best one – but we’re all in collective agreement that both of those games felt committed to making an amazing experience. Every pack you bought felt fulfilling and well fleshed out and not like EA / Maxis were trying to shill you out of a quick buck. Those days are long gone, and even the hardiest of Sims content creators have fatigue at best, contempt at worst for The Sims 4. From casual players to those who make a living off playing The Sims, everyone was seated for Project René – long rumoured to be what would become The Sims 5. The next iteration of Sims game, and one that could right the wrongs of The Sims 4. But EA has now officially confirmed that there are no plans for The Sims 5 – and, in my opinion, have killed the franchise dead once and for all in the process.

Speaking to Variety, vice president of EA and the general manager of The Sims Kate Gorman says “The way to think about it is, historically, The Sims franchise started with Sims 1 and then Sims 2, 3 and 4. And they were seen as replacements for the previous products. What we’re really working with our community on is this a new era of The Sims. We are not going to be working on replacements of previous projects; we’re only going to be adding to our universe. With that, you’ll see there are more ways to experience ‘The Sims’ on different platforms, different ways to play, transmedia, and lots of great offerings within this universe.

“So absolutely, we’re still continuing to support TS4 more than ever. Still continue to deliver expansion packs and updates and fixes. But what this is to say is, the way we’re going to do things going forward is a little different. And it’s really exciting and it’s really the most expansive iteration of The Sims yet.”

No plans for The Sims 5 is news that has been met with earth-shattering groans. The next iteration of The Sims was longed to be a fresh start, but Gorman continued “What this means is that we will continue to bring HD simulation experience and what people would want from a ‘5’ — but it doesn’t mean that we’re going to start you over, reset all your progress, and really feel like you’re going to lose all of that amazing play you put into ‘4.’

“I think as we think about the future of it, we want you to continue all of those families and generations. Those creations are your progress, your attachment. We don’t want to reset your progress. And so it’s not about as much of what the numbers are in the games, but know that the future of the franchise looks more like keeping your progress, keeping things across titles, and really having an ongoing experience, and not a start-and-stop experience between products.”

O-kay. There is also development into another standalone Sims multiplayer experience – one that isn’t coming to The Sims 4 but is what Project René is building up to be. I am intrigued at least by this potential – but it is not the gripe I have.

The gripe I have is that we are building and building on a game that no one has an attachment to in the first place. Still to this day, the nostalgic adoration and love we have for The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 is beyond rife. Those are the kind of games with a legacy, where people felt sad to move on for a new game. When Gorman says the reason there isn’t a Sims 5 is because people won’t want to leave behind The Sims 4 and the families and gameplay they had on there, she is simply wrong – and out of touch with players if she thinks it’s accurate. If we were ready to leave what we’d built behind for The Sims 2 and then again for The Sims 3, why on earth would we now suddenly not be willing to? Get serious.

I am taking this as confirmation, as if we needed it, that this business model for The Sims 4 is not for fans and never has been. It is to maximise money and income for the company. If that is the stance EA chooses, that they truly have no plans for The Sims 5 ever reaching fruition – say goodbye. The franchise is over.

For all the latest gaming news, memes and updates follow The Holy Church of Gaming on Facebook. 

Related stories recommended by this writer:

• Every expansion pack for The Sims 4 ranked, including the brand new Growing Together

• Everything wrong with Growing Together, The Sims 4’s new expansion pack

• Every game pack for The Sims 4, ranked meticulously from worst to best