Chiefs speech

Chiefs player makes hateful grad speech calling women ‘wives and mothers’ and Pride ‘sinful’

He also referred to Taylor Swift as his ‘teammate’s girlfriend’

Kansas City Chiefs player Harrison Butker has been called out after making a graduation speech where he labelled Pride month as “sinful” and told all the graduating female students they would be happiest as wives and mothers.

Speaking at a commencement address at Benedictine College in the US on the 11th of May, he also referred to Taylor Swift as his “teammate’s girlfriend”

He began the speech by explaining: “It is safe to say that over the years, I have gained quite the reputation for speaking my mind,” before going on to criticise the “diabolical lies told to women” about topics such as abortion and IVF where he called abortion the “murder of innocent babies”.

He said: “Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for degenerative cultural values in media all stem from the pervasiveness of disorder.”

@changedotorg

A Change.org petition is calling on the Chiefs to dismiss kicker Harrison Butker for making several dehumanizing remarks during his commencement speech at Benedictine College on May 11th. Here’s what the three-time Super Bowl champion said about women, Pride Month, COVID, abortion, and more … If you want to read or sign the petition, head to our link in bio. #HarrisonButker #commencement #graduation #chiefs #nfl

♬ original sound – Change.org

He also called LGBTQ+ Pride Month “sinful” as he suggested the students at the college should have a “true God-centered pride, not the deadly sins sort of Pride that has an entire month dedicated to it.”

Harrison Butker plays on the same team as Travis Kelce, who is currently dating Taylor Swift. During the 20-minute speech he quoted Taylor Swift’s song Bejewelled and calling her his “teammate’s girlfriend” he also said: “As my teammate’s girlfriend says, ‘familiarity breeds contempt. ”

Then speaking to the women directly in the room, the students who have just graduated with their degrees, he said his wife is happiest as a home-maker and the “majority” of women are more excited about “marriage and children” than a career.

“Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world,” he said. “But I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

“I can tell you that my beautiful wife Isabelle would be the first to say her life truly started when she started living her vocation as a wife and as a mother.”

@pottymouthpollyanna

Must be nice to make 5 mil a year so your wife can do all the heavy lifting at home.

♬ original sound – Mandy ♥️

He then spoke directly to all the men graduating, advising them to be “unapologetic in your masculinity” and to “fight against the cultural emasculation of men.”

“To the gentlemen here today, part of what plagues our society is this lie that has been told to you that men are not necessary in the home or our communities,” Butker said.

“As men, we set the tone of the culture, and when that is absent, disorder, dysfunction and chaos set in. This absence of men in the home is what plays a large role in the violence we see all around the nation.”

People have since been calling out the Chiefs player for the speech, calling for him to be kicked off the team. The Kansas City Chiefs have refused to comment on the kicker’s speech.

A Change.org petition has also been set up to dismiss Harrison Butker for his “discriminatory remarks”. It currently has over 11,000 signatures.