Here’s which classic Christmas song each UK university would be

If your favourite song is Lonely Christmas you may want to seek out some therapy

Your favourite Christmas song says a lot about you as a person and a student. Chatting with your housemates over Christmas dinner about everyone’s favourite can get quite controversial. If your favourite is Lonely Christmas you may want to seek out some therapy. If you’re wishing it could be Christmas everyday you might want to start getting out a bit more. If you’re a huge fan of Jingle Bell Rock you most likely have an obsession with Mean girls, but if your go to is Step into Christmas you definitely have elite music taste.

Russel Group unis have a plethora of different vibes, as do all Christmas songs. So based on what vibe we think your uni has we have assigned you classic Christmas songs to blast with your mates as you’re having pre drinks for your last night out at your unis before everyone goes home.

University of Cambridge – Do they know it’s Christmas?

via YouTube

Whilst some Oxford and Cambridge students will worry if their fellow Russell group unis know it’s Christmas after all? The university of Cambridge is actually one of the most charitable Russell Group universities. Their 71,000 illumni fundraisfield £323m in 2014-13.

University of Edinburgh – Auld Lang Syne

If you’re an Edinburgh student, you most likely won’t be staying home with mum and dad for NYE this year. You will most likely be heading straight back to feral uni life at Hogmanay. “Auld Lang Syne” is a Scottish classic often sung during New Year festivities. Edinburgh is known for its Hogmanay (New Year) celebrations, and it reflects the Scottish heritage and the strong sense of community in the city.

University of Glasgow – Lonely Christmas

via YouTube

Glasgow students will be cold so cold without someone to hold this Christmas. Lacking in more than one vitamin D, Glasgow will only see one hour of sunshine each day in December.  As temperatures drop to one degrees celsius maximum at night; Oh Polly girls will still be going out in just a mini dress and heels.

University of Bristol – Deck the Halls

The cost of housing isn’t the highest in Bristol for nothing, the beautiful architecture and wonderful Christmas decorations make Deck the Halls a fitting choice. Bristol students might be skint but at least it’s scenic.

University of Leeds – Jingle Bell Rock

via YouTube

What other than the iconic Mean Girls Christmas song to represent Leeds uni. With the amount of stuck-up rah girls pres can feel just like a scene from the iconic 2000’s film. And you can bet if this song comes on they will get up and do the full routine. On Wednesdays we wear afghan and adidas.

University of Liverpool – I wish it could be Christmas everyday

via YouTube

As a Liverpool student you may find yourself wishing it was Christmas everyday so you get to go home. From 90 per cent of students facing sexual harassment and a crime rate of 142 per cent compared to the rest of the UK, no wonder some students will be buzzing to get back to their hometown this Christmas.

University of Manchester – White Christmas

This one is self explanatory… Manchester was ranked number one as the “druggiest Russell Group uni” by The Tab in 2021. With 89.88 per cent of students admitting to taking drugs at university. It will certainly be a White Christmas in Owen’s Park this year.

University of Newcastle – Winter Wonderland

via YouTube

As one of the coldest Russell group universities in Britain, the Toon certainly feels like a winter wonderland, especially since it was one of the first places to get proper snow this year. On top of that they actually have a “rides, ferris wheel, hot chocolate” winter wonderland, take that London.

University of Oxford – Feliz Navidad

via YouTube

This Spanish tune certainly represents Oxford. This Russel group uni is actually the most diverse in language and culture. Their student body is made up of  46 per cent of international students. Oxford has also been teaching modern languages since 1724. The languages course is one of the largest in the country, with a total intake of more than 250 students a year.

University of York – Step into Christmas

via YouTube

An Elton John classic is only fitting for the cutest Christmassy city in the UK.  Stepping off the train and walking down whip-ma-whop-ma gate truly feels as if you have just stepped into Christmas.

For more fun features like this explainer of UK unis as Christmas songs, like The Tab on Facebook.

Here’s which iconic Christmas film each of the Russell Group universities would be

• It’s Christmas! These are officially the most festive uni cities, in 2023

• Elf is officially 20 years old so here are the wild cast transformations, two decades on

Featured images via YouTube.