Inside former UK aircraft hangar and studios where Squid Game: The Challenge was filmed

Red Light, Green Light was filmed in the same place Mariah Carey once held concert rehearsals

The original Squid Game was set in South Korea, but where new TV series Squid Game: The Challenge was filmed is actually much closer to home, with the reality show being created in the UK.

The show is pretty much based on the original series, seeing players compete in a set of children’s games for a huge cash prize. Whilst there’s no death, players get “eliminated” as they go along, and one person will be named champion at the end.

The Netflix synopsis reads: “Immersed in the world of Squid Game, 456 real players put their skills — and character — to the ultimate test for a life-changing $4.56million prize.”

via Netflix

Ok, so where was Squid Game: The Challenge filmed?

Filming began in January 2023, and was primarily at Wharf Studios in Barking, London. Some filming also took place at Cardington Studios in Bedford, a former aircraft hangar.

Cardington Hangars were once home to the largest aircraft ever made in the UK, but now provide a set for some of the biggest films and TV shows. This is where the iconic Red Light, Green Light game for Squid Game: The Challenge was filmed. The set for the game was 100 meters by 40 meters, and over 100,000 square feet.

According to its website, among the other films created at the location are: Batman Begins, Fred Clause, Inception, Star Wars: The Return of Skywalker (Episode IX), Dumbo (2019), Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Some artists have also rehearsed for concerts here, including Sam Smith and Mariah Carey.

At Wharf Studios in Barking is where the contestants spent most of their time, with Netflix recreating the original show’s iconic bunkbeds here. Filming lasted for 16 days and 20 tons of steelwork went into building the bunkbed structures.

via Netflix

According to its website: “The Wharf Studios is a new, state-of-the-art production facility, developed by Hackman Capital Partners and its affiliate The MBS Group. The 10-acre campus offers 200,000 square feet of creative space, featuring six, large-scale, custom-design sound stages, with ceiling heights up to 46 feet.”

Take a look behind the scenes of the Squid Games: The Challenge set

Squid Game: The Challenge is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.