Sophie Turner Joe Jonas divorce why

Blaming Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner’s divorce on her ‘party’ lifestyle is totally unfair

‘This is just a bad attempt at framing Sophie to be some careless mother’

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner hadn’t even publicly spoken about their divorce when the blame game started. “She likes to party; he likes to stay at home. They have very different lifestyles,” a source told TMZ when Joe filed for their split in Miami, claiming their relationship was “irretrievably broken” just days after they were seen holding hands.

Quickly, fans and tabloids latched on to Sophie’s alleged wild life as a reason for the relationship breaking down. Like she’d intentionally sabotaged her own marriage and family. “Desert your kids much? Not a good look,” one person commented on her Instagram. “Sophie ‘felt trapped in her marriage to Joe and wants to relive her youth’  friends say – as she’s seen downing shots and £6.50 cocktails in Birmingham,” headlines disapprovingly screeched.

Firstly, you can obviously be a mother and have a social life – that should (but doesn’t) go without saying. And, secondly, Joe Jonas himself is very much outside. As one person on Twitter noted: “I love Joe Jonas as much as the next girlie but between drinking on stage and doing his little dj events you cannot tell me he doesn’t party l o l this is just a bad attempt at framing Sophie to be some careless mother and that’s not it for me!!”

It shouldn’t, really, be for any of us. And it’s bizarre that while we’ve heard account after account of Sophie’s wrongdoing, read eye-witness accounts of what she’s up to in a Birmingham bar like she’s on trial for a crime— anything Joe has said, done or drunk has gone miraculously unreported. Seems suss.

@wintcrss

@joejonas couldn’t handle a baddie 🧚 #sophieturner #sansastark

♬ original sound – aung

Inevitably this unequal speculation ended the way it always does: with a begrudging Notes app statement and a weary beg for privacy. “After four wonderful years of marriage we have mutually decided to amicably end our marriage,” Sophie explained on Instagram in a post written by her and Joe.

“There are many speculative narratives as to why but, truly this is a united decision and we sincerely hope that everyone can respect our wishes for privacy for us and our children.”

Essentially, let her have her £6.50 cocktails in peace.