Zayn Call Her Daddy

Every major bombshell Zayn dropped about One Direction on the Call Her Daddy podcast

He admitted he wanted to be the first to go solo

Zayn Malik is the latest celebrity to feature on the Call Her Daddy podcast, and it is the first interview he has done in six years. The former One Direction band member dropped some huge bombshells about his time in the iconic boy band, with some being brand new revelations unheard before the release of the podcast.

Zayn left One Direction eight years ago and honestly, fans haven’t been the same since. While he and the rest of the band have gone on to have successful solo careers, nothing hits the same like having the five boys back together. While a reunion seems to be off the cards for now, Zayn has reminisced on his time in the band and why he decided to leave – here’s every major bombshell he dropped during the interview.

Zayn said one of the main reasons he left 1D was because he wanted to be the first to go solo

via YouTube

When Zayn left the band in 2015, hearts broke everywhere and he admitted he made the decision to leave because he wanted to be the first to go solo.

“I completely, selfishly wanted to be the first person to go and make my own record, if I’m being completely honest with you,” he told podcast host Alexandra Cooper.

“I was like, ‘I’m gonna jump the gun here for the first time.’ I’m a passive dude, but when it comes to my music and business, I’m serious about it and I”m competitive. So I wanted to be the first to go and do my own thing.”

You know what? Valid!

The band were all ‘sick of each other’ by the time Zayn left

One Direction had been working non stop for five years, creating music and touring almost every day and Zayn said by the end of it they were all “sick of each other”.

“We’d been together every day for five years and we got sick of each other if I’m being completely honest,” he explained. “I look back on it now in a much fonder light than I would have as I just left.”

He said there was ‘a lot of politics’ going on when he decided to leave the band

When it came to leaving the band, Zayn said there was “a lot of politics going” before he made his decision.

“Certain people were doing certain things. Certain people didn’t want to sign contracts. So I knew something was happening [and] I just got ahead of the curve,” he explained.

Zayn Call Her Daddy

via YouTube

He said he felt ‘overexposed’ in the band

Fans were shocked when it was revealed Zayn would be taking part in the interview given he had done one for six years. The former One Direction member said he “took the time” to not do interviews as he felt “so overexposed” to the press while in the band.

“I took the time I have to not even necessarily do interviews and do too much press exposure because I felt like we were so overexposed in the band that it takes a bit of time for you naturally to progress as a human and give something else that is interesting that you have to say,” he told Alexandra.

Zayn said it was a ‘marketing scheme’ as him being dubbed the ‘mysterious’ band member

While part of One Direction, Zayn was often dubbed as the “mysterious” member of the band but he said that wasn’t his personality type.

“I think it was just a marketing scheme,” he explained, continuing: “So I get it but I don’t think you can define an entire person to one personality trait. We are a little more complex than that.”

He said he looks back on his time in One Direction ‘fondly’

Zayn told Alexandra that he looks back at the “rush” of being in One Direction” fondly. The boys were all thrusted into stardom overnight after taking part in X Factor and it’s fair to say none of them knew how to handle it to begin with.

He said: “Now I look back at it like it was a rush, you know? It was fun and it was something that was amazing, so of course I wasn’t going to understand it. It’s not something I expected in my life, but it was definitely fun for sure.”

He said it’s taken ‘a lot of time’ to process the fame he got from being in One Direction

In 2010, One Direction rose to fame while they were all in their teens and Zayn said he didn’t think he was “intellectually capable” of dealing with fame.

“I don’t think I was even intellectually capable to do that at that age,” he said. “I think it has taken time for me to process them things. I think I’ve had to process it with an older mind and look at it backwards and be like, ‘Yo, this was why this happened and this is what happened.'”

You can listen the full interview here.

For all the latest reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook