Here’s how to work out if you’ve celebrated your golden birthday and when your next one is

Five year old me didn’t know what she was missing!

TikTokers have all been talking about an important birthday they missed but had no idea about, and it’s their golden birthday. The idea of a golden birthday is simple, but everyone on TikTok seems royally confused by the idea of it and are slightly ticked off they missed it without even realising.

A golden birthday is when “the numeral of one’s age matches that of the day of the month.” For example, if you were born on 19th, your golden birthday will have been or will be when you turn 19 years old. However, you can have a double golden birthday that is a little more complex.

Here is the golden birthday and double golden birthday explained, in the simplest of forms.

Whatever day you were born on is when your golden birthday is

A golden birthday refers to the birthday you have when the age of your birth year matches the day you were born. If you were born on the 5th of June, your golden birthday would have been when you were five years old.

If you’ve missed it, you can have another golden birthday

Some people believe that if you missed your golden birthday due to it being when you were a child, there is another way to celebrate it. You can get a second attempt at a golden birthday when you turn the age of your birth year. So, if you were born in 1991, then it would be when you turn 91. Apologies to my 2000s babies out there.

The concept of a golden birthday originated in 1955

Joan Bramsch gave each of her five children a separate golden birthday celebration when their birth dates matched their ages. A golden birthday can also be called a champagne or lucky birthday which are also popular names people would recognise.

One TikToker has explained perfectly what a golden birthday is

“Did you know you might have celebrated your golden birthday without even knowing? Your golden birthday is when your date of your birth coincides with your age. My birthday is August 25th. I celebrated my golden birthday when I turned 25 years old. My niece will be turning 12 on March 12th this year, so that means she’ll be celebrating her golden birthday.

“According to tradition, your golden birthday is believed to be the most special and lucky birthday of your lifetime.”