Image may contain: Teen, Man, Girl, Woman, Selfie, Shirt, Portrait, Photo, Photography, Teeth, Lip, Mouth, Pants, Female, Laughing, Apparel, Clothing, Smile, Face, Human, Person

University student dies by suicide after girlfriend sent hundreds of texts saying ‘go die’

He died 90 minutes before graduating

cw: suicide, death, emotional abuse

Alexander Urtula, a 22-year-old university student has died by suicide after his girlfriend sent him hundreds of texts to "go die."

Prosecutors say his girlfriend, Inyoung You, tracked his location on her phone and was there when he died. Urtula jumped from the top floor of a parking garage.

His girlfriend, who is 21, was verbally, psychologically and physically abusive to Urtula, as stated by the Suffolk County District Attorney's office.

You is now facing a charge of involuntary manslaughter for her role in his death.

Prosecutors claim that You coerced Urtula to kill himself via text. During a two month period, she allegedly texted him 47,000 times, including hundred of admonitions to "go die."

Alexander Urtula was set to graduate from Boston College at 10am on 20th May 2019. His parents were in town from New Jersey to watch him receive his diploma. He was an exceptional student, a Biology major and a member of the school's Philippine Society.

One of Urtula's close friends, who spoke to Elle.com said that while he knew Urtula and You had "relationship issues" he didn't realise how bad it was.

The Suffolk County DA accused You of inundating Urtula with "manipulative attempts and threats of self-harm" in attempt to isolate him from friends and family.

You has reportedly withdrawn from classes at Boston College and is now living in South Korea, which is her native country.

The case has drawn comparisons to the Michelle Carter case from 2014, which involved Michelle Carter, urging her boyfriend Conrad Roy, to kill himself. She was convicted of similarly involuntary manslaughter charges.

Featured Image credit: Suffolk County District Attorney