Image may contain: Head, Smile, Collage, Advertisement, Poster, Person, Face, Human

Eric from Sex Education calls out girl who dressed up as him and blacked up

She even tagged him in the original upload

Ncuti Gatwa, who plays Eric from the popular Netflix series Sex Education, has called out a girl wearing blackface to dress up as him.

The post, which has since been deleted, was uploaded on Instagram. At over 200 likes, the post tagged both Ncuti and Emma Mackey, who plays Maeve. The caption translated to "Try Eric and Maeve".

On Twitter, Ncuti said: "Blackface is never cool. NEVER ??COOL… it perplexes me that people don’t realise how offensive, insensitive and stupid it is. And the cheek of this girl to tag me in the picture as if I would be happy. ???? what??an??idiot??"

Image may contain: Face, Poster, Advertisement, Flyer, Brochure, Paper, Number, Symbol, Word, Text

The Instagram post showed the girl posing with a friend dressed in a purple zip up and patterned t-shirt, with a clearly darkened face. Both girls were imitating a photo from the show, pictured below:

Image may contain: People, Female, Smile, Costume, Face, Person, Human

The picture the controversial post was imitating

Ncuti's tweet garnered almost 4,000 likes in a mere three hours with many people also feeling outraged. The Instagram post was flooded with comments calling it out as racist before its deletion around 5pm on Monday.

The image received a frosty reception on Twitter with fans agreeing that it was in bad taste.

Image may contain: Number, Symbol, Page, Person, Human, Text

Sex Education is set in a British high school and follows a group of teenagers discovering sex and relationships for the first time. Ncuti plays Eric, who is best friends with lead character Otis, played by Asa Butterfield.

The Tab has reached out to the girl for comment.