Your mate from another uni is visiting York, here’s what to do with them

Let’s not wait for the bus for three hours x

Living in York has its perks. It’s famous for its buildings, history, and pubs (yes, there’s one for every day of the year). But when your friend from another (they argue, better uni) comes to visit, how can you show this off? Wanna make them just the tiniest bit jealous? Not to worry, here are the top eight things to do in York with a friend – show them we have it best, and then send them home.

Spark

Whether you’re wanting a chill lunch vibe or a night time party, Spark has it all. With plenty of food and drink stalls, there’s no better place for a bit of everything – pizza, fried chicken, Greek, Mexican, NYC street food, cocktail bars, and loads more. Plus, eating in a huge storage container is kinda cool. Don’t ask questions, it just is.

Brunch on Fossgate

Arguably one of the best streets in York. Across from the shambles, Fossgate Merchant’s Quarter is home to loads of amazing independent food places, and of course, the best brunch in town. Our favourites include Spring Espresso, Cosy Time and, new to the street, Rise (unreal eggs and avo). Because who doesn’t love a good brunch?

The Hole in Wand

This Harry Potter themed mini golf is one of York’s best-kept secrets. It’s a perfect activity for you and your mates. With a nine-hole course to have a go at – not gonna lie, it’s pretty hard. You’ll find it in Coppergate Shopping Centre, along with their gift shop and Wizard Tavern if you fancy a magical drink after. (Alcoholic drink included with the golf!)

Shambles Market

York loves a good market. The Shambles Market is open every single day, right in the heart of the oldest streets of York. With loads of stalls, it’s perfect to have a walk around with friends and grab something from the food markets afterwards.

Trip to the Minster

Ever ended up outside the Minster and not sure how you got there? Me too. Let’s be real, if someone’s visiting, you’re gonna end up there – again. But did you know that us York students get free entry, fast-track in the queue, and it’s only £6 to go up the tower? Go on in and show your mate how stunning York is!

Cresci Pizzeria

Number one pizza in the whole city. Cresci freshly bakes and serves traditional Neapolitan pizza at its very best. Plus, they love a good student offer – so keep an eye out.

Literally any Cocktail Bar

There’s not much better than a cocktail night (or day) when you have a mate from another uni visiting. York has some amazing and unique cocktail bars and some of my favourites are Evil Eye, Bora Bora, Bobos, Fossgate Tap, and Fossgate Social. You’ve also got your big chains – Turtle Bay, Las Iguanas, The Botanist, Slug & Lettuce etc (all great for food too).

Salvooooos

And finally, what else? Your mate’s come to York and you’re not gonna take them to Salvos? Bad friend. Complete their York student experience with cheesy tunes, a VK and Jason Reilly’s tunes.