A York student is running the London Marathon after girlfriend diagnosed with cancer

Will Bray is raising money for Young Lives vs Cancer after his girlfriend was diagnosed with leukemia

A University of York student is raising money for Young Lives vs Cancer after his girlfriend and fellow York student was diagnosed with lymphoblastic leukemia.

Phoebe Tiernan, a second year law student at the University of York, was diagnosed with cancer last month. Since then her boyfriend, Will Bray, also a student studying sociology at York, has signed up to run the London marathon in October.

Will told The York Tab: “You never think it will happen to you until it does.”

The Just Giving page can be found here. Over £6,000 has been raised for Young Lives vs Cancer so far.

Will is running the London Marathon on the 2nd October 2022 in order to “raise awareness and money for other young people in Pheobe’s situation who are helped every day by the work they do.”

Pheobe Tiernan was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in January and has been undergoing chemotherapy since.

He said: “It would mean the world if you donated anything you can, even if it’s just a pound, because nobody deserves to go through what she’s going through especially at 21. Young lives vs cancer help families deal with the impact of treatment and adjust to life with cancer as well as increasing awareness of the condition and its impact on young lives.”

He continued: “Phoebe is the strongest person I know and carries herself with such grace that there is no way she will let anything beat her. Whether you know Phoebe or not she is by far my favourite person on this planet so I would be forever grateful for any donations.

“Chemotherapy is such a physically and emotionally draining experience that any messages of support for her would also be incredibly kind. I know it’s hard to donate to every charity and cause but I wouldn’t ask unless it was something I truly cared about.”

Will told The York Tab: “I decided to apply for the marathon because I wanted to help in any way I could and this seemed like the most proactive approach to raise both money but also, awareness. You never think it will happen to you until it does.”