Image may contain: Wheel, Machine, Architecture, Building, Human, Person, Vehicle, Car, Automobile, Transportation

Assembly cancels event ‘out of respect’ for Coventry student who died on Friday

The event was due to take place on Friday

Assembly has cancelled an event due to take place on Friday “out of respect” for the Coventry student who died after an alleged MDMA overdose last weekend.

The 19-year-old student was rushed to hospital on Friday night. It was reported earlier today a 22-year-old also suspected to have taken MDMA that night is still in critical condition.”

In a Facebook post, a spokesperson for the club said: “After the tragic incident last weekend Assembly’s management and Andy C’s team have decided to postpone this Friday’s event until next month out of respect to the family and friends.”

An investigation into the circumstances of the student’s death is still ongoing, as is an investigation into the unnamed 22-year-old’s condition.

A number of others suspected of taking the drug also remain in hospital.

The 19-year-old was part of a group of friends attending the sold out event, where Hybrid Minds were playing a set.

A spokesperson for Coventry University said: “It is with great sadness that we have learned that one of our students has died and another is in hospital after a night out in Leamington.

“Our thoughts are with their families and friends at this awful time. We will not be disclosing details about the students and ask that the privacy of the families is respected.

“We are liaising closely with the police and are working to provide all the support we can to everyone concerned.

“We would urge all our students to read and follow the urgent advice contained in the police statement, which we have shared.”

A spokesperson for Warwickshire Police said: “Police were called around 5am to report a teenager had become seriously ill in The Assembly Rooms on Spencer Street, and later died in hospital.

“His next of kin has been informed.

“A 22-year-old women is also in hospital in a serious condition, and a number of others were also admitted after suffering adverse effects.

“It’s believed that the group were at a drum and bass student event at the venue, but may not have purchased the drugs online.”

Detective Superintendent Pete Hill from Warwickshire Police added: “Our thoughts are with the family of the teenager, and specialist offers are currently supporting them.

“At this time we believe the tablet taken is a red hexagonal pill named ‘Red Bull’, which is believed to be MDMA, and we are concerned there maybe others who have also taken this.”

The Detective Superintendent also went on to clarify: “Whilst the cause of death has not been confirmed and we are keeping an open mind as to whether the substance caused a bad reaction or an overdose, we would advise anyone who has also taken it to seek medical advise.

“We would also ask anyone who purchased any pills but have not yet taken them to please safely dispose of them.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is advised to call Warwickshire Police on 101 quoting incident 63 of February 1.

Related stories:

19-year-old who died from suspected MDMA overdose at Assembly was a Coventry student

Assembly allegedly stopped serving water on night of Coventry student’s death

22-year-old ‘still in critical condition’ from alleged MDMA overdose at Assembly